Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Initiate Independent workflow from existing workfl
saumil
Hi,
I want to initiate the
independent workflow
from my running workflow.
I want to pass some parameter as well.
How to do it?
Saumil Shah
Technical Associate
Mahindra and British Telecom
+0919819890479
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
RTFM about nested workflows
this might help
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
saumil
Hi,
sorry but can you expand the term
RTFM
.
Saumil Shah
Technical Associate
Mahindra and British Telecom
+0919819890479
gzevin
you made my day... after having bug after bug in 6.1 at least something had to illuminate my night
use google to get the answer
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
This thread made me smile, too... but, I was curious. So, I went on Google and queried RTFM. The #1 hit was
http://www.rtfm.com
, which apparently is a technical consulting company with one of the crappiest web sites I've ever seen.
Isn't it funny how poetic life is sometimes?
Dave
Migrateduser
Given that he said *independent*, I'm thinking that nested is not the best way to go. Sounds more like a case to use an external task to setup a jobspec and instantiate it with iwjobc -i. Of course, your basic final conclusion is still valid if he chooses to go that way.
gzevin
could be, you are right..
then, RTFM about iwjobc
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
R
ead
T
he
F
***ing
M
anual
If more people just simply had the forethought to RTFM before posting, there would be thousands less frivolous posts in DevNet. But then what would ghoti do all day?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Aww, man... well now that you spelled it out, where does Google come in? And more importantly, what role will ghoti play in this thread?
I thought we were encouraging him/her not only to RTFM on what nested workflows are but also to RTFM on what RTFM stands for.
So much for irony :-)
Dave
nipper
but I cannot beleive there is a long RTFM thread & I have not been involved.
I guess I should get to work earlier.
Yea, like that is gonna happen.
Migrateduser
We East Coasters get started early! I've been wondering where you were -- it seemed strange to have this conversation without your.... input.
saumil
Hi,
Really looking nice people are having grt. knowledge abt.
RTFM
.
but my question is about
Independent Workflow
.
I am repeating again, I want to execute the .wft file from Running Workflow.
Here I am saying .wft file bcoz, i am also using that as Independent Workflow.
Saumil Shah
Technical Associate
Mahindra and British Telecom
+0919819890479
jbonifaci
The main reason this subject has focused on telling you to RTFM is because you obviously haven't. There were two suggestions for you as to what to RTFM about, I suggest you follow their suggestions and come back with any specific questions after RTFM. We're glad to help out, but you need put in some effort as well.
Migrateduser
A quote from Smitty, circa 2004 (in other words, just page up to see what we're all talking about):
In reply to:
Read The F***ing Manual
Dave
Adam Stoller
If more people just simply had the forethought to RTFM before posting, there would be thousands less frivolous posts in DevNet. But then what would ghoti do all day?
This - coming from Smitty? The man who single-handedly blasts IWOV for poor documentation (with the exception of OD I believe)? Amazing!
What would I do if people RTFM'd and got most of their answers that way? The same thing others out here do - pounce on the more interesting queries that also get posted - but would be easier to concentrate on because there would be fewer RTFM-style queries to read through.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
You raise a good point - I am a walking contradiction. I actually thought about that before I made that statement, but as much as the Documentation sucks (don't you agree?), there are still so many questions that are so basic that they are actually covered in the documentation - or your basic perl manual - or a simple Google search.
I think so much has to do with people needing jobs so desperately that they'll claim to be an expert in TeamSite or Perl just to land a job and once they get there are completely overwhelmed. Then they come to a place like this for someone to do that job for them - a job they had no right taking from an actual competent person. I wonder how many of these people work for outsource companies.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
This is actually a tough situation. As little as I want to help someone who doesn't even try to help themselves, I think about the
FM
and would ask where in the
FM
this information would be? The workflow manual is so bad - the worst of them all I think it's safe to say, that I don't think this information would be in there. There's nothing useful in the
FM
about nested workflow. There's nothing useful in the
FM
about CLT options and how to use them. There's nothing useful in the
FM
about the perl modules.
There definitely is useful information in various DevNet posts about all of these things, though. So rather than telling this guy to
RTFM
, I think a more useful response would be
SFDN
, where the S stands for "search" and you can guess the rest.
Workflow doesn't need to be so hard. It wouldn't be if there was suitable documentation.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
NathansDIS
As someone who is a relative newbie IW administrator, and has yet to learn about creating workflows and templates, is the Developer Series training recommended? Has anyone taken this training that might be able to speak to its value? What is the best resource to learn about wft and tpl?
nipper
Definately take the WF course. THough it will probably tell you to use WFB (laugh).
Also how well do you know Perl and XML ? Learn them, if you know thse then
picking up WF is easy.
HTH
Andy
Migrateduser
Hopefully someone who has taken IW training can speak to the value of IW training - getting IW's opinion would be a bit biased. I'm sure that the training has changed over the years, but we did happen to get a bootleg copy of the documentation for an Advanced Workflow course IW offered a few years ago. I'll tell you that the training documentation was far better than the Workflow Manual as far as how detailed it gets about things. I don't know if they still offer that course, but based on the training doc, I would say it's probably worthwhile. But expensive.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
picking up WF is easy
That's a bit of a simplification. Knowing perl and XML certainly makes basic workflow easier to pick up, but if you want to do anything remotely useful, workflow is never all that easy. Although I'd rather be working on workflow than templating - that templating stuff must require advanced calculus and imaginary numbers to make work based on the number of DevNet posts that forum gets.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
NathansDIS
I know perl and xml fairly well; if I didn't I probably wouldn't have got this job. ;D Do people often use WFB to create the initial skeleton of the workflow and then go into the generated code to manually flesh out the details?
Migrateduser
No!!! Let me make that clearer....NO!!!
Never ever ever use WFB. You've been warned.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
WFB is like training wheels on your bike. DId you use them when you were 6 ? Yes.
Do you start off with them every time you ride ? Well Smitty might, but most people
don't.
You will be better served by taking an existing (or multiple existing) WFTs and change
them.
HTH
Andy
Migrateduser
Isn't it valid to say, though, that when you take training wheels off of your bike, your bike is now a true bike - but when you try and manipulate a WFB built workflow template, there's still a bunch of extra **** you have to deal with from WFB? I thought WFB adds stuff you wouldn't normally put in there. Not true?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com