Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Metadata updates
System
Hi all.
I'm writing some scripts to show us how much disk space is used by each container (so that we can do a correct chargeback to our customers depending on the amount of disk space they use).
In order to do this correctly, I would like to consider also past asset revisions.
Currently I use the "Original File Size" metadata ({DF13E043-8B28-493A-96C3-FFD61FC69E45}), but I was wondering if this is the correct way of doing things.
I imagine that when an asset undergoes a "metadata revision" it probably is not stored again in the MBDataDirectory (that would be a massive waste of disk space, but maybe I'm missing the big picture...).
Actually, seeing how the Web Client separates file revisions from metadata revisions (i.e., looking at the revision comment) I am no longer sure that metadata revisions do not result in the physical file being duplicated.
Can someone shed some light on this?
Thanks in advance!
Folco Banfi
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lyman
I suppose that Original Filesize is as reasonable a method as any. Please bear in mind that MediaBin does shallow copying wherever posisble therefore:
1) Revising metadata does not duplicate the file.
2) Creating a reference to an asset does not duplicate the asset file.
3) Copying an asset within MediaBin does not duplicate asset file. However, the copies asset does have its own history and will no longer refloect metadata changes or check-ins to the file from which it was copied.
I don't know if any of your users use externaly indexed files, but if so you might want to treat them differently for billing purposes.
Hope this helps,
Lyman Hurd
MB Server Team
MediaBin Server Team
Interwoven, Inc.
Migrateduser
Thank you for the reply.
I believe that having a metadata to differentiate between revisions that involve changes in the file and revisions that only involve attribute/metadata changes would be useful.
Is this in the "nice to have" list for future versions?
Having to look at the revision comment to differentiate revisions sounds like a rather weak method to me: what if one day you will want to support multiple language interfaces in Web Client?
Folco Banfi
lyman
Yes it will be considered for future versions. Also let me remind anyone who does not know, MediaBn can be configured not to produce a new version on metadata updates. One does lose the ability to roll back metadata changes but some customers prefer things this way.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
MediaBin Server Team
MediaBin Server Team
Interwoven, Inc.