Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Workflow annoyance I never noticed before
System
I just wrote an external task that does some checking of business rules we have regarding where files can be placed. Because I'm lazy, and I figure my users are too, I figured I would just put the information about which files failed the rules check in the task comment. Naturally, I chose to separate them by putting each file on a separate line in the comments. When I transition it, I'm only getting the first line of the comment. After I thought about it for a minute or two, I decided that what's probably happening is that since the workflow perl modules are still just wrappers for the CLTs instead of being a real API, the shell is mangling it and losing everything past the first newline when it calls iwcallback.
I'll probably try separating the lines of the comment with <br/>, unless someone else has a better suggestion for doing multi-line comments.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Using <br/> instead of a line break is a no go.
Oops. Just found my problem. I had an assignment operator (=) on a line where I thought I had the concatenation-assignment operator (.=).
Please return to your houses, there is nothing more to see here.
Migrateduser
Well, there is an annoyance here after all. If I use a newline, it is ignored as superfluous whitespace. If I try to put a break tag in, the angle brackets get converted to entities so the comment actually has a <br> in it. Is there any way to get a line break in a comment?
Jeremy
Hi Rob,
I recall we came upon this about a year ago (5.5.2) and we filed a bug.
I have no idea what the bug number is, but I do recall Interwoven saying it was a bug.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Jeremy
Migrateduser
Thanks, Jeremy.
Lissa - any chance you could poke around and find out the status on that bug for us?
Migrateduser
Curious, although pessimistic: what happens when writing <br>? Would it parse the string just as the DCT and PT do? What about 'double-backslash n'? (not sure how that was going to print out here if I had written it as such)
Dave
Migrateduser
I tried replacing the < and > with < and >, but it just puts in the literal strings < and >. I understand why they chose to do that, given that users have a nasty habit of putting things in fields that could cause the things to break if you aren't careful about quoting and escaping user input. Multiple newlines are ignored just as handily as single newlines.
Migrateduser
No, I'm sorry -- I wasn't clear. When I mentioned duoble-backslash n, I'm thinking about:
\\n
Or, possibly triple-backslash n (we have to deal with this quite a bit but fortunately, trial and error isn't too painful).
Dave
Migrateduser
i looked for this bug but didn't find it. If anyone remembers who filed it that would help me a lot.
lissa