Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Workflow Builder 5.0.0
System
Hello Everyone,
I am working on Teamsite 5.0.1 on Win 2000, I also have WorkBuilder 5.0.0, Is this version of Workbuilder compatible with Teamsite 5.0.1, Please sugget. Because when i try to connect to the server from the work builder it says " Server component of WFb is not installed" , But as far as my knowledge goes, our teamsite is running on IIS, please sugget me as to what i should do to connect to server from workbuilder.
Thank You
Coca
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Jeremy
It is much better if you don't actually use WFB but rather code from scratch. Otherwise doing anything near useful is almost impossible.
nipper
1st suggestion, bag WFB.
If you insist, install it completely. THere is a server component and a client component. The server portion will
upload the WFT to the server, change available_templates.cfg, etc. The client builds a very ugly WFT.
Read the install instructions, it will also say what rev it compatible with what rev of TS
me
Migrateduser
Using WFB to build workflows is a lot like using FrontPage to build HTML. It inserts a lot of extra ****, can sometimes do things you don't intend, and is in many cases much easier to perform any of these tasks manually (i.e. creating a WFT within a text editor).
If you're not sure about how to get started with building workflows from scratch, there are some examples bundled with TS and the manual is somewhat decent in further explaining the details.
Dave
Migrateduser
If you are just getting started with WOrkflow, it's really too bad you have to start with 5.0.x. This product is at end-of-life, and lacks many of the new capabilities that make it much easier to get started. The out of the box workflows are part of 5.5.2 SP2 or SP3. These allow you to customize workflow by only changing configuration files, and provide documentation to make additional changes to the workflows. THey are superior to using WFB in every way.
I strongly advise you to discuss upgrading with the folks on your team.
lissa
Migrateduser
Yeah but there are those awesome
work_order.wft
and
dual_work_order.wft
sample workflows that were written by some incredibly brilliant contractor once upon a time. Genius at work...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
>Yeah but there are those awesome work_order.wft and dual_work_order.wft sample workflows that were written by some
>incredibly brilliant contractor once upon a time. Genius at work...
Yea right.
I have to admit, that they certainly did demo great. Customers loved seeing the initiation of the WF and all the choices.
Of course I never had the guts to try and let the WFs complete as I had no idea when they would work.
Of course in a demo, showing the screen was usually enough. Choices, lots of choices.
me
Migrateduser
I don't know if a single customer ever got any use out of those gems, but as a contractor, I loved every money grubbing hour it took to create them. Cha ching.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
iwovGraduate
I remember seeing this error when you didn't have a WFT patch applied.
Check the available patches for the release you are using and make sure you have them.
Look at support site for compatibility matrix to see which version of WFB goes with which version of TS.
TS 5.0.1 is almost history. Consider using newer versions.
Migrateduser
As an instructor, I hated explaining them to the folks who took the workflow class.
Migrateduser
That warms my heart, Rob
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
gzevin
Dave, your documentation probably sucked big time
on a different note - I had to deal with some "solutions" workflows that come OOTB in 5.5.2 and 6... Absolutely horrifying piece of code... which does not work well.. especially those templated e-mails .....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Yeah, I sort of slouch around the office threatening to have a "Li **** is evil" T-shirt printed up (I hope Li's not reading this). Of course, it's pretty easy to gripe about it, but it's way better than the OOTB e-mail solutions of years past. The major annoyances I've found with it are that the default templates for the emails aren't that useable, they don't work with grouptasks until you modify them, and he uses his own mapping file rather than the one that is referenced in the default iw.cfg. I've fixed all those in my installation.
The next thing I have to do is go in and add LDAP lookups to it so it will convert user ids into fullname and email without me having to maintain that mapping file.
Migrateduser
Ha! Greg, that's probably the only thing I did that was useful - I documented those WFTs as well as I possibly could. I see those WFTs have changed quite a bit from when I wrote them - they are still as useless, though.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Awww, c'mon... Li is one of the few support people that is actually helpful (at least that I've spoken with over the past few years)! But, I don't think she bothers reading this board, so you're good there
.
Dave
Migrateduser
I also like the template based email, but I wish they had built more usefulness into them as well. If you want to send an email to more people than just the person who owns the subsequent task, you have to write a wrapper around the script, which I did. Of course, that also required me to modify the iw_solutions_email.ipl script, which I now have to modify every time we upgrade. Send me one of those t-shirts, would ya?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Support is one thing. Building a tool and then letting it rest on its laurels without upgrading it to be more useful is quite another. The template based email tool has a very minimal amount of usefulness. It doesn't map to more than the most basic use case.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Completely agreed, but I didn't want the Li Wong slander to go on for too long before someone acknowledged her
other
strengths.
Dave
Migrateduser
The moral of the story is:
Always put someone else's name in the comments of your scripts as the author.
Migrateduser
True, that's why if you ever see something with Larry Wall's name on it, it's actually mine!
Dave
gzevin
I dunno how useful that 'solutions' sh*te is... We just took the original install, OOTB and it threw us heaps of errors (most likely, it could not parse a WFT file to retrieve all the variables)....
and, it is out of whack from everything else we ever did with workflows - and also, HOW ON EARTH one would use different mapping files and different configs from what is described in the documentation? How a novice developer is supposed to deal with all this load of ****? Even I was confused... and you can hardly call me a novice...
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU