Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Change workarea owner
Habeeb
Hi,
I need to change the workarea owner for Teamsit 6 on Windows 2000. I am the Master for this Teamsite 6 server.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks,
Edited by Habeeb on 09/29/04 02:03 AM (server time).
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dwayne
To the best of my knowledge, there's not supported way to do this. The closest you can come is to
Create a new workarea (with a temp name) owned by the correct user
Get the list of modified files in the original workarea
Use 'copy to area' to copy those files to the new workarea
Rename the old workarea to a temp name
Rename the new workarea to the original name
Delete the original workarea
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Habeeb
I need to perform this operation on 500 workarea. this would consume alot of time.
Dwayne
Is this because the old owners are no longer active? If that's the case, and if you're on TS 5.5.2 or above, you've got another alternative. Use
iwidmap
to remap the old user to the new user. The downside of that approach is that all references to the old user will be replaced with the new, so if the current owner is still around and should own some of the workareas, it won't help you.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Migrateduser
Correct. Changing the workarea owner/group is not supported on Windows.
You could write a script to handle the job of creating new workarea(s) and
copying your modified files over.
Jason Heirtzler
Interwoven Engineering
guitarist
Can anyone explain why this is designed in this way? Surely Interwoven understands that sometimes people quit their jobs or otherwise move on? What a pain in the a** this is!
nipper
Worksareas are mean to be either for a person or a small group of people.
So if Andy owns this Workarea & Andy leaves, make certain there are no private files
and delete the Workarea.
If it is a groups WA, just remove Andy from the group.
If this is causing you problems, then you are likely not using the product right.
Andy
Migrateduser
It is a pain, but it's the responsibility of an organization to have intelligent branch/workarea design. As such, it's not advised to have a workarea owned by a specific user id. Alternately, a generic user id could own the workarea.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Johnny
The product expects you to have a user for the owner.
An editor who owns a workarea is able to unlock other users files..
IWOV default workflows rely on the area owner for conflict resolution etc...
It's their idea to keep a real user - it would be handy if you change the owner easily just like you can change a group.
John Cuiuli
nipper
not really
For the shared workareas (which we use a lot of), tsadmin is the owner and
everything works fine. Masters (& I think branch owner Admins) can unlock,
I do not like the idea of an editor unlocking.
As to WF, yea, IW needed a default user and the WA owner is as good as any
touse, but that is easy to change.
It is still my opinion that a user should not own a shared WA and if it is a user specific
WA then it can be deleted.
But go ahead, file a FR
Johnny
I was just repeating what the usage is available as a workarea owner.
There is no one rule..
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
in 6.x - if you (at least as Master and probably as Admin) view the properties of a workarea - you can change the owner and group (if one was set) for the workarea right there.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Johnny
Are you sure?..
I know you can definitely do this for a branch - but I don't think you can do it for a workarea..
or atleast I can't see any option to change a workarea's owner/group as a master - even those that I own.
TS 6.5 (no SP)
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
I thought it worked on workareas - I don't have access to a system right now to verify it one way or the other - but if it works for branches I'd think it would work for workareas too.
However, if I'm wrong - it would probably make a good feature request ...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bowker
Have you tried to remap the SID? See if you can use the CLT iwidmap. If your "old" user doesn't use TeamSite any more you can re-assign everything he/she owns to a new id.
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
Adam Stoller
iwidmap should certainly work - and may be a better solution since it would change all references for that "old" user to a "new" user - but remember to use iwstoreadm to deactivate [-d] and re-active [-a] the store after having run the iwidmap command - as that will make the mapping change take effect.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Everyone:
Take heart! TeamSite 6.7 goes BETA this November and GA mid-Q1 2006. TS 6.7
introduce GUI support for managing users, groups, roles, and policies (which users
and groups have access to any given branch or workarea and what roles they play)
for both sysadmins and DELEGATED admin (authorized users playing a role granted
rights to manage users and groups on their branch).
Stay tuned for more details!
Kevin
g_sal
I don't agree with creating generic accounts for content areas.
While it does make access management of the content area easier, it makes audit trailing very difficult because you never know which employee has messed up your content when something goes wrong. People are more likely to share a password for a generic account than their own account. It's just typical user psychology in my humble opinion. At least this is what I've observed in the past.