Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Did Interwoven sell my email address?
System
I have an email address that I only use on Devnet. It is not an address that would likely be guessed by spambots. It is not listed in my Devnet profile, so it should only be visible to Interwoven and their marketing partners. Today I received spam at that address.
Did Interwoven (or an Interwoven marketing partner) sell my devnet email address?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
THere was a slimeball about a year ago that read email addresses off of devnet and put them in
his spam list. I received a couple of emails from him. It is possible that he sold the list as well.
I highly doubt Interwoven sold the list.
Andy
Migrateduser
I think it's more likely that a marketing partner sold the list than that Interwoven sold it (I hope they're not that desperate yet!). I mean, if they send those newsletters and stuff through a marketing company, that company (or a bad employee) could do whatever with them. I am doubtful that many companies really enforce their own privacy policies when they work with marketing partners. For instance, I now receive spam at the address I only use at United Airlines (which should never have been publicly visible) .
Migrateduser
On the up side, though, it's good to have new email addresses so readily available and basically free -- it gives us an idea of which companies are selling lists and to whom. Unfortunately, my DevNet email address is my real email address, so I have no idea if the **** ploy is from Interwoven or from someone else... last I checked, Interwoven hasn't partnered with Pfizer, though.
Dave
Migrateduser
Completely agree. I own several domains so whenever I do business with a company I just use
company.com@mydomain.com
. All the mail routes to another address that I actually check, but as long as the spammer includes my address in the to: (which they generally seem to do) I can track who abused my contact info and route that address to a black hole when needed. But gmail actually does a pretty good job of filtering spam so now I use it more for tracking how my addresses are being dispersed. An overwhelming majority of the spam comes to addresses used in DNS registration.
Edited by john on 09/29/04 11:16 AM (server time).
Migrateduser
Check out Spam Assassin, also (
http://spamassassin.apache.org/
) -- when I started using it, I noticed my spam was cut down about 90%. I'm thankful for that other 10% though, because at least I'm assured that it's not trashing meaningful messages.
I haven't heard of gmail -- is that a service (as in gmail.com)?
Dave
Migrateduser
Dude you haven't heard of google mail? Where have you been? I sent you an invite (assuming I remembered your address correctly).
I hear there's also a google browser coming, maybe a variant of firefox/moxilla or IE, or something custom.
Migrateduser
OH, okay, okay... yes, I have heard of Google mail -- I didn't know that's what you meant my "gmail" :-) maybe we have different terminology for it in Pennsylvania or something!
Spamassassin works on an existing POP3 account and is completely customizable. It works be assigning points to different qualifiers (for instance, a relayed email will get 3.2 points or something) and if the sum is over a certain amount, that message will be flagged as spam. According to your instructions, you can have that message automatically deleted, etc.
Dave
Migrateduser
Back to the original question - did Interwoven sell this list?
The answer is NO NO NO, we did not sell the list. In fact, I'm known around IWOV for being very protective of the DevNet registrations. I don't let people send IWOV marketing material to it, nor do I allow people to contact you unless it is in regard to posts you have made in the past.
I am in the process of updating the terms of use to explicitly state other members should not SPAM you. If you happen to uncover someone who is not adhering to this policy, please let me know. I have spoken to people in the past.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
> If you happen to uncover someone who is not adhering to this policy, please let me know
Err, this one was from some company called "Citibank".
From: Citibank <us-support@citibank.com>
To:
interwoven@<mydomain>.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:52:41 ßã +0900
Subject: 0fficial Notice for all users of Citibank [Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:52:41 ßã +0900]
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to contacts list | Show original
External images are not displayed. Display External Images
89Gc703 b50651j9 0x23i5457 550q7283 e22V6539g 99 493 96 099 7e9587c8L 2E064 12 0809m 25m1 4611s8170 3j48s3 5s 0583 Yq983K1 03826268 5730 883228 y31 59 f60s0739 i2 Q879 76340i 3hb 39f0n612 9897857 6b265
Migrateduser
sheesh, and they only gave me 5 bucks for your email address...it was hardly worth it
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
OH, okay, okay... yes, I have heard of Google mail -- I didn't know that's what you meant my "gmail" :-) maybe we have different terminology for it in Pennsylvania or something!
Maybe it depends on where in Pennsylvania - In the Wexford/Pittsburgh area - I've known what gmail was for quite some time - and managed to snag an account there too.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I am convinced Interwoven and/or one of their marketing partners is selling customers' addresses. I am now receiving spam at
interwoven.exposite@<mydomain>.com
- I am absolutely certain the only thing I used that address for was accessing Interwoven's expo site.
Migrateduser
I'm checking into this. It also might be the case that someone crawled this site some time ago and pulled email addresses.
I can speak for the DevNet registration list, we do not share it (let alone sell it).
I'll get back to you on the expo site.
lissa
Migrateduser
Hello John,
Interwoven absolutely does not sell email addresses. And specifically to DevNet, this community is an opt-in only set of contacts so we attempt to limit the communication to this community to developer related items.
I am not sure how the "spammers" would have attained your email, but be assured that Interwoven does not sell email addresses.
Best regards,
Fred