Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Merging a DCR
Lee
I've a couple of problems merging dcr files. Not with the merge tool itself but with dcr files and extended attributes.
Firstly when trying to merge a dcr the tool fails as the dcr has been saved all on one line. The tool flags the single line as a conflict and your pretty much stuck. Can you force dcr's to be saved on multi lines?
Secondly the result of a merge produces two new files the new merged file and a back .orig file. All excellent. However the back up file has associated extended attributes. The merged file does not have any.
The merge tool is pretty good but the two problems above are making merging a reall problem. What are we doing wrong? Are their any work a rounds?
Cheers Lee C
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lhdavis
Check out this
thread
for an answer to your first question.
Not sure on the second.
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
Lee
Excellent, pretty print dcrs a go go.
Is their a solution to the EA problem ?
The best i can come up with is a menu option which will copy ea's from the .original to the newly merged file. Pretty clunky and manual. Has anyone a better solution?
Lee C
Adam Stoller
The only thing I can think of (other than filing a feature request with support) is see if you can set an iwat trigger on the merge event and thus potentially (i.e. I have *not* tried this) automatically perform the EA transfer.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
bboyle
Not sure if this will help, but we have this option enabled in [iwcgi] section of iw.cfg
inherit_EA_on_Import=true
Ostensibly it's to keep attributes when using the "Import files" applet, rather than have them be overwritten. Sounded like a good idea to us so we turned it on
I'm not sure exactly what it does but seems to keep attributes around. I've noticed a file can be deleted and a new file created with the same name and the extended attributes from the deleted file are present, so it seems to make them quite persistent! Which might be what you need?
smenon
Seems like a bug to me and I have logged one for you internally. During the merge, the unmerged file is renamed (moved) as .original before creating the merged file with the original name. I don't think that the inherit_EA_on_Import=true will help with the merge because that is very specific to the import operation.