Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 6.0L UI Issues
jagiyer
I am facing some issues in the content center and we are using TS 6.0L on Windows 2000.
We have SP3 installed on win2k.
It so happens that sometimes the login page does not show up at all and we will see the hour glass mouse
pointer on the browser for a long time.
I also observed that memory usuage is around 100% atthis point of time.It looks like some background process will be
getting executed.
When we do iwreset -ui,the login screen appearsimmediately and everything works fine for the next 24
hours or so.
We are looking for a permanent fix for this solution.
I checked with IW-support and I was told that we have to upgrade to TS6.1 as TS6.0L has too many UI related
problems.
I am not convinced with IW-support's reply.
Can anybody help me in analysing this problem?
Thanks & Regards,
Jag........
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
NathansDIS
Do you know what process is using up all the memory on your server?
jagiyer
Hi Nathan/dave,
I could only see the tsadmin.exe process when the CPU usage was 100% and the rest of the processes were normal Windows processes.
This problem occurs once in 2 days or so.
I did iwstat -c when the content center went blank.But it was not of much help to know the processes running on the ts server at that point of time.
I did not find any entries in the iwtrace and other logs to find the reasons for this issue.
Even the logs seem to be ok for the IWOV support.
Await your suggestions.
Thanks,
jag
brandon1
I have seen this happen before with an out of control PERL process. We have had one that was poorly written and was doing variable allocation in a loop. The loop had a invalid exit parameter. Hence it would keep running until eventually it ate all the memory up. Not that it is easy to find such a problem but it may be a good path to explore.
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Migrateduser
If this were the case, the process that would show as hung would be iwperl, no?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
jagiyer
Hi Brandon,
I will definitely go through the workflow where lot of activites are taking place and one more point that I would like to share is we have a number of email
tasks in the workflow and we have stopped the smtp services as the client wants us not to send mails for sometime.
I will check these email tasks,May be something is wrong here.
Thanks,
jag
jagiyer
Hi Dave,
I did not see any iwperl processes in the task manager when the content center went blank.
Thanks,
jag
brandon1
Did this problem exist prior to stopping the smtp service?
Current Project: Content Services implementation
NathansDIS
I have definitely seen spiking of the CPU usage on our TS 6.1 W2K servers from time to time. Most often it was iwserver and servletd? that were rising to the top of the usage chart in task manager. It wasn't constant CPU at 100% but it was definitely cyclical in nature. I believe an iwreset -a or a reboot is what I did to clear it up and it doesn't happen all that regularly.
We have also had runaway iwperl processes due to errors in ipl coding (infinite loop), but they only took up one whole processor in a MP box, not 100% of the total processing power. Hope this helps.
jagiyer
The site went down twice today. Checked the task manager and found that there were about 220 instances of CMD.EXE and NET.EXE amounting for 250 MB of memory usage.
Could these processes be responsible for the slowing down of the Teamsite server?
Also found the files NET.EXE AND NET1.EXE in the system32 directory of the windows.
I searched in the google for these processes and found a post where someone had the same problem with Service Pack3 installed on Windows 2000.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-5757.html
Please give your comments.
Thanks,
Jag
brandon1
If I am not mistaken net.exe is a command line (hence the 220 instances of cmd.exe and net.exe) tool that has many different functions including net send which will send a message to a user on the domain. It looks like maybe you have some processes that are not exiting properly. The main culprit is usually a workflow that is performing a external task and is failing. This can be hard to debug. But you can go down the net.exe path and search workflows/PERL scripts for usage of net.exe.
HTH
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Migrateduser
This is a great place to use process explorer from sysinternals.com. It's default view is a tree view, so you'll be able to see what process invoked the hanging net.exes
brandon1
Nice product endorsement!
That is a good product!
Current Project: Content Services implementation
report no widths.pdf
report widths set.pdf