Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
VFE vs. proxy virtualization
System
So far, VFE is winning.
Seriously, here's the issue. We're allowing the users to use the Picture button to insert images via the VFE. However, we have done some proxy virtualization to set the docroot on every branch to /home. So, the problem is that the path inserted by VFE is /home/media/images/foo.gif for instance. Now, I suppose I could use a regex to strip the ^/home out of any src or href attributes that occur in the resultant text. However, that's still going to leave the broken image in the visual format box itself if the user looks at it. We could try handling this as a user training issue, but I think the users will grumble if we try that.
Is there an easy way to solve this problem, or am I going to have to figure out how to do a custom function in Visual Format and hook that up to the Picture button instead of the default action for it?
Naturally, essentially the same problem obtains for links.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dwayne
Can't you just put a proxy rule in like this:
_regex=(.*/(STAGING|((WORKAREA|EDITION)/[^/]+)))/home/(.*)=$1/$5
which, unless I've mistyped something, should remove
/home
from any URL if it's at the root of the edition, workarea, or staging.
(Some of those parens might not be required - but I like to err on the side of caution
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Migrateduser
That's a thought. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. If I handle it by remapping the urls in iwproxy, then I'll still have to strip them off in the PT so the deployed files will be good. An easy way to handle docroot changes and such would seem to be a pretty reasonable thing for IWOV to have included. I'm beginning to think I would have been better off leaving my templatedata directory in the middle of my content and doing a filter in the OD config to exclude it from deployments.
Dwayne
I understand. I also usually find it easier to keep my content at the root of the area, and exclude
templatedata
at deploy time. Although I've also seen it done where that top level content directory (
home
, in your case) is also deployed to the docroot of the web server, and the root just contains a simple redirector to load the 'real' site found under
home
. I personally think it's ugly, but it has been done.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Migrateduser
IWOV used to really push remapping the docroot as a best practice. I wonder if the official stance on that has changed because of things like this? Any IWOV folks have a comment about that?
I haven't had to worry about it for the last couple of years because the way we were using TeamSite at my previous engagement was pretty far outside the usual web content management envelope and we didn't allow including links or images with VF.
Adam Stoller
When you insert an image - there's a checkbox below the path to the selected image that says "Resolve Image Paths" - the first time I tried it on my customer's system, the box was checked and the result was the icon in the VF window.
Then I tried it again, unchecking that box - and it virtualized just fine.
I just tried this again, and now it seems to virtualize regardless of whether that box is checked -- no clue - but you might give it a shot and see if it helps.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I don't have that checkbox. I wonder if it's something that has to be enabled/disabled in the config file. I'm assuming that mean it should appear on the "Picture Properties" dialog under File Selection kinda-sorta to the left of the "Select New File" button?
Adam Stoller
Are you on TS6.1 ?
My description of the checkbox on the insert-picture form was from VFE on 6.1 SP1 (on Solaris)
However, it might not be the checkbox - I think it's the Preview button (same form) which seems to solidify the URI ... at least in the case I just tested.
I tried Insert Picture, and was browsing from the top of the workarea, double clicked on the top-level subdirectory 'graphics' and selected a JPG file there. and said "OK" and got the .
If I do the same thing and click on the Preview button, the image shows up.
What's really weird (to me) is that if I view the HTML source within the VFE (where I now have one good and one broken image) the src="..." attribute for the images are identical - but the good image has height and width information filled in.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Yeah, 6.1 on Windows. I've seen the behaviour you describe back before I changed the docroot. Where you would add the image and get the red x, but if you previewed it, it would show up. I think that's just a VFE weirdness not related to the proxy.
Migrateduser
I've gotten a few replies back from friends of mine who currently work at Interwoven. By and large, they agree that the best practice is to put the content at the workarea root, make the area root the source of deployments, and use a filter to prevent anything in templatedata from being deployed.