Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Perl APIs
System
I know this came up before but I couldn't find the thread.
The fact of the matter seems to be that 90% of Interwoven implementations are still stuck with Perl, which means most of us are calling command line tools to access Interwoven. This is fine for small things, but when you're running a report that has to call iwextattr once and iwattrib some number of times for each file on the system, the performance on Windows sucks both for the reporting and for the entire system that is impacted by this flaw in the architecture. Is Interwoven ever going to fix this by providing native Perl APIs? Is the suggestion that developers call ContentServices from Perl instead of the command line tools? If so, why hasn't Interwoven rewritten the Perl modules to use ContentServices? What are the other options?
Again, this really sucks Interwoven. You need to provide better tools and direction here.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
brandon1
Does not 6.5 include more robust reporting services? That at least should alleviate that woe.
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Migrateduser
6.x is so so so so so unbelievably far from being a viable option here.
But if it does have good reporting, does that mean they've replaced some components of the back end with a real database? I mean, can I write an SQL query to retrieve a list of all files generated from a template, or do I still have to recurse the file system and call something for each file (whether a CLT or a true API)?
brandon1
I do not know for sure (Guess we will have to wait till the webcast), but I had heard that it would be possible to query the db using JDBC. (This was during a focus group a while ago >1yr)
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Migrateduser
Keep in mind that the Reporting service is an option - you have to buy it for 50K plus a per-user license for Crystal Reports. The good news is that if you already have Crystal Reports, you probably won't have to pay for those licenses.
I believe the data does end up in a database and you can write your own queries using Crystal Reports, however that works.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
$50K for reporting and it doesn't eevn include graphical tools? You've got to be kidding me. I think you can buy a stripped down version of TeamSite for about this price, and many viable CMS products are well below this figure. or you could hire a programmer for 6 months...
Does Interwoven not understand the market or is it only me that's totally confused by their direction?
brandon1
Crystal Reports typically takes a populated recordset/DataSet which would be the result of a query against a db.....
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Johnny
If you have datadeploy / DAS setup, could you not query it for your custom reports?
John Cuiuli
gzevin
I asked a similar question at the time I was starting me exercises with 6 Beta. Why don't we have the Content Services API natively exposed to us via appropriate Perl API. yes, we can see that IWOV want to push towards .NET and J2EE, however as you said, a lots of customisations are still done in perl (and maybe a new generation of IWOV consultants will have to grow to change this). So, we need CS SDK exposed to perl, NATIVELY....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Given that the CSSDK is an additional cost, and that none of the examples that ship with TeamSite use it (as far as I can see), I don't expect any movement away from perl anytime soon. Not to mention that some of us are gun-shy after having started to tinker around with OpenAPI when that was going to be the wave of the future, and then having IWOV lurch off in a different direction. If CSSDK is still the official Next Big Thing by 7.0 or 7.5, maybe I'll start spending some time with it then.
brandon1
It was not really a Teamsite lurch but more of a java community direction towards J2EE that caused the switch. At least that is my 2 cents.
Current Project: Content Services implementation
gzevin
somebody from local IWOV office told me that in 6.5 all .wft's will be done with Java, rather than perl... I did not hear anything about it as yet and I suspect this will not happen. at least for now.
so, I also agree that we are stuck with perl for both WFT's and TPLs for quite a while
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
I'm not sure I agree with the term "stuck" - but that's more a personal bias / religious kind of thing.
I'd be happy to see an OOPerl implementation perhaps along with a java implementation....
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
Ok, the 'stuck' is retracted. as I am a perl person as well and I could feel your pain
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Ravidialog
Hi,
I am using following sample code to retrive info from LDAP server.
please note that I have given correct values.
I am getting error "Can't call method bind on an undefined value ............................"
please help.
use strict;
use Net::LDAP;
my $ldap = Net::LDAP->new('IPADDRESS', debug =>0, timeout=>5) or die "$@";
#must bind as administrator to retrieve all user attributes in LDAP
my $admin = 'cn=administrator, cn=Users, dc=my, dc=domain, dc=name, dc=com';
my %bindargs;
$bindargs{password} = 'password';
$bindargs{version} = 3;
$ldap->bind ;
my $mesg = $ldap->bind( $admin, %bindargs);
#make sure we binded correctly with the username and password specified
if ($mesg->code != 0)
{
if ($mesg->code ==49)
{
printf("Password not correct");
}
else
{
printf("Error in binding");
}
}
#LDAP search filter that lists all the entries for "Users"
my $mesg = $ldap->search ( # perform a search
base => "CN=Users, dc=my, dc=domain, dc=name, dc=com",
scope => "1",
filter => "objectclass=*",
);
my $count = $mesg->count();
print "Total #attributes retrived: $count";
#name of attribute to get
my $attr1 = "userPrincipalName";
$mesg->code && die $mesg->error;
my
@usernames
;
my $max = $mesg->count;
for(my $i = 0 ; $i < $max ; $i++)
{
my $entry = $mesg->entry($i);
if ($entry->get($attr1) ne "")
{
push(
@usernames
,$entry->get($attr1));
}
}
foreach my $x (
@usernames)
{
print "\n$x";
}
$ldap->unbind; # take down session
Ravi.
gzevin
I am at loss as to why have you decided to ask me about LDAP in this thread, and why me?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Dwayne
(This really should have been in it's own thread)
Why are you using the
bind
method twice? I'm not sure that's the problem, but it looks suspicious. You first do an anonymous
bind
(no parameters) then you attempt a second
bind
with authentication information.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K