Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
make_toolkits.ipl as an external task?
mogoo
Has anyone tried to run make_toolkits.ipl via an external task in a workflow? Is this even possible? The owner of the task is root - will that work? I'm trying to do this, and I'm getting an error message...
-------------------------------------
Exception in /apps/iw-home/bin/make_toolkit_test.ipl: Failure while running Ant at /apps/iw-home/bin/make_toolkit_test.ipl line 187.
-------------------------------------
Thanks in advance for any tips, insight, RTFMs...
maureen
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I think you have to run make_toolkit.ipl from your customer_src directory. So maybe if you
cd .../customer_src
prior to executing the script it might work.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
brandon1
This normally runs a iwreset -ui. So that might be a bad idea.
Current Project: Content Services implementation
Migrateduser
yeah that might ruin your day...
By the way - hi Maureen...good to see you again.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
mogoo
Heya Dave! Thanks for the input. I've tried to run it a couple different ways...
1. using the -src flag set to customer_src dir:
<command v='__INSERT__("$iwperl $iwhome/bin/make_toolkit.ipl -src $iwhome/local/config/lib/content_center/customer_src/");'/>
2. calling on a .ipl in which I cd to the customer_src dir, then run make_toolkit.ipl:
<command v='__INSERT__("$iwperl $iwhome/bin/change_toolkit.ipl");'/>
...both ways are returning the same error. Anyone know what "failure running Ant" means? Could the problem be that I do not have root access? I was hoping by having "root" be the owner of this external task, it would still be able to run.
Any thoughts, or any tips on how to debug this?
Thanks!
Migrateduser
Ant is a tool used to make builds and I think it can do all sorts of things. You may need to have the script run as root, not just be owned by root. If you're running on solaris, you'd
chmod 4755 change_toolkit.ipl
and then the script would run as if root was running it. Problem with that is you'll have to deal woth perl taint mode, and that's a whole other bear to tame.
I'm not sure if Brandon is right when he says make_toolkit runs an iwreset, but if it does do that, you may be screwed anyway. What are you trying to accomplish with this workflow?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
If you decide to try and run your script as root, you'll want to look at how to handle taint mode:
http://gunther.web66.com/FAQS/taintmode.html
It's a pain, but a necessity if you need to have scripts run as root.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
mogoo
Well, it's very unlikely any of us that actually use teamsite on a daily basis can get root level access to the server (even on our devbox). We would like to play around with customizing ts6, but you have to run make_toolkit.ipl as root.
Our Sys Admin services other departments besides us, so he's very busy. I was trying to come up with a way we could play with customizations on the devbox, so we wouldn't have to bug him to run make_toolkits.ipl every time we wanted to try something out.
That's our drama. In regards to iwreset, I thought the whole point behind make_toolkits.ipl is that it doesn't interrupt normal teamsite users? Or did I just understand that wrong?
maureen
Migrateduser
Will he give you sudo access? That's what we have, but we are special
. I find it hard to believe you can administer TeamSite at all without some kind of root access. How have you managed for all this time?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
mogoo
You definitely are special, I can verify that!
I'm very resourceful, that's how we manage. LOL. Actually, non-root didn't seem that big of a deal before TS6. As a Master, I can do most things that need to be done. I just think it's going to be obnoxious if we have to ask him to run make_toolkits.ipl all the time while we're trying to customize 6.
Thanks for the taint info. And I'll lobby for sudo access. I wanna be special like Dave. (If I could be like Dave. Wanna be wanna be like Dave.)
Migrateduser
Thank you, Maureen - you were always nice to me....unlike some people I know around here. That annoying Nipper dude is going to chime in on this thread just to try and catch up to my post count, I just know it. Anyway, good luck with the sudo - and if they don't give it to you, you should just make a bunch of little customizations and make him run make_toolkits every 10 minutes until he just caves in and gives it to you. After all, what harm could little Maureen do?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
mogoo
Hee hee, thanks for the thoughts, Dave. I am harmless. And don't worry about Nipper - if he tries to catch up with you, I'll just get him lost in downtown LA again, like we were for the User Group meeting a couple of weeks ago. Not many can say they've done a walking tour of LA. Nobody walks in LA. Except those looking for the Teamsite User Group meeting.
Migrateduser
I can't believe they let him out of the asylum, let alone out of the state!
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
NathansDIS
make_toolkits.ipl does run iwreset on Windows platform, don't know about solaris...
-n
nipper
Heck I have real root access, who needs sudo ?
brandon1
I may only have <100 posts but I am positive that in some cases it can do a iwreset on Solaris as well.
Current Project: Content Services implementation
JonathonG
I wanna be special like Dave. (If I could be like Dave. Wanna be wanna be like Dave.)
I guess Halloween is coming early this year....that is one of the most frightening things I've seen in quite some time.
Just kidding Smitty...or am I?
Jonathon
Interwoven Developer
Allstate, Inc.
Migrateduser
Frightening, perhaps. But I still get a 50% discount on Nike stuff and you don't.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
JonathonG
True, but I get to save 15% or more on my car insurance just by....oh wait, wrong company
Jonathon
Interwoven Developer
Allstate, Inc.
Migrateduser
well I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com