Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
My First Workflow
tsrookie
Gidday All,
Am writing my first workflow so go easy on me.
Its for when an author completes our primaryMenu dcr I want it to automatically generate the output create an email to an approver if approved move it to staging. From where it will be deployed automatically.
From my reading and I have only had basic workflow training from the 5 day developer course.
1) A user task which is to create the menu using the primaryMenu DCR
2) An external task that using iwgen generates the desired output and adds that generated code to the workflow job
3) An email task that then notifies the approver that a menu has been generated
4) If approved a submit task that then moves primaryMenu dcr and generated output to staging for deployment.
Any comments suggestions please
Regards
Colin
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
To me it sounds like you have it covered, except that you stop at the submit to STAGING step. I would think you'd want another externaltask after that to execute the deployment and then maybe another email to notify the interested parties that their changes are live. It's nice to see someone who takes a shot at solving their own problem. Looks like you almost nailed it.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
tsrookie
Thanks Dave,
I stopped at the submit to staging step because we intend running a cron job each morning at 5.00am that will create an edition and deploy any content.
I also assumed that if we wanted to deploy this outside the above time we could manually as a workflow job would have already been created.
Could an email task be set to trigger once the content had been deployed?
Well now that I have nailed the broadbrush approach, the hard/fun part begins. I intend to use workflow builder to begin creating the workflow is this the standard approach?
Regards
Colin
Migrateduser
I definitely need to save you from yourself with Workflow Builder. Since you went through the basic training, you should be capable of writing this basic workflow without WFB. Take one of the existing sample workflows and add/remove tasks to get the result you are looking for. Most people definitely do not use WFB to create workflows.
As far as using a cron to deploy, that's fine. You can use the same script you're using for your deployment to send out an email after it's done - no need to go back to workflow to send that email. You can get creative and figure out whether the deployment succeeds or fails and send the appropriate email.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com