Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Preview / Virtualization
maggi
We have teamsite, iPlanet (Web Server) and Weblogic (App Server) set up.
Our preview set up is like this...
Each Branch -Configured to seperate weblogic instance and it is working fine. but we are going to have more branches in future. I want to come up with a solution using Single instance of weblogic for all the branch or any other efficient way of doing it?
Thanks in advance
Maggi
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
stevekrys
Similar situation on my end as well. Right now we have BEA WLS apps for each workarea. This will not be scalable due to the need for many more previewable development branches in TS. I'll be interested in hearing some of the replies to this post.
PJoneja
If each branch has a different application in it, you should be able to use the same instance of the WLS for all of them. The thing to watch out for is conflicting libraries. For example if 2 of your applications use different versions of a library, you may have some conflict. I believe that the WLS is pretty good about this as long as the libraries are inside your application (in WEB-INF/lib) rather than in the app server's lib directory, which I have seen people do. Using EJBs might complicate this a bit, but I believe that WLS treats each enterprise application as a separate entity, so it *should* be ok. I wish I could give you a definite answer, but it's been a while since I used a WLS and there are so many differences between the various versions.
The other problem that you can run into is if you try to deploy multiple versions of the same application. For example if you want to virtualize multiple workareas on the same branch, you may have trouble trying to deploy those applications on the same instance. In older versions of the WLS, you could actually do this successfully as long as they each have a unique context root. Do NOT let WebLogic define the context root for you; it is better to define it yourself. If WebLogic defines the context roots for you, you will get MyApp, MyApp-1, MyApp-2, etc. Which seems like a good idea at the time. However, when you restart the app server, it may reassign them. (For example, you start out with workarea1 mapped to MyApp and workarea2 mapped to MyApp-1, but after restarting you might get workarea1 mapped to MyApp-1 and workarea2 mapped to MyApp.)
Hope this helps!
Pam
formatDateTime.jpg