Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Lightweight System to replace TeamSite
System
I swear that the decision to replace TeamSite was well under way before I joined this project as users, developers and adminsitrators have always been unhappy with the tool for a variety of reasons. In general the existing implementation is pretty bad (thanks XUMA) and it is just too complex to adapt to emerging requirements. I have been tasked with identifying a lightweight tool to replace TeamSite, but with some additional features. My first idea was a wiki but I don't have any experience implementing them. Some of the features required of the toolset include:
Chat capability
Messaging/threads
Content administration/file versioning
Survey data capture and reporting
Intuitive
Scalable
Preferably integrates with .NET, alternatively J2EE
Open/component architecture (this system may need to be swapped out).
I would prefer that the back end be a database.
For budget reasons it probably has to run on Windows or Linux. I am open to Open Source. Any suggestions for such a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lhdavis
Probably not the best place to ask that question
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
Migrateduser
I don't doubt some of this site's users have been involved with alternatives. In fact I think there will be a large consulting market for people skilled in migrating IW implementations to alternative platforms. So I wouldn't be surprised if that post gets yanked, but judging how slowly Interwoven responds to my posts (if at all) I might at least get some good feedback first.
I did also post on the Yahoo group - if you know of other forums, please send me URLs.
Adam Stoller
Chat capability
Messaging/threads
Content administration/file versioning
Survey data capture and reporting
Intuitive
Scalable
Preferably integrates with .NET, alternatively J2EE
Open/component architecture (this system may need to be swapped out).
I would prefer that the back end be a database.
Well - the first four items look more like production-side functionality as opposed to development-side functionality - and thus they certainly don't apply to TeamSite. So if the customer is looking for a system that works on the production side - it doesn't surprise me that they're not happy with the current choice.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Right, like I said, IW is a bad fit for their small IT operation - in fact they are piggybacking on someone else's license so there really was never any analysis of which platform would be a good fit and now that they're growing it's starting to bite. It's funny - there's a development system, but nobody uses it and if you try to test on it everything is broken because the configuration is so different. So they certainly do develop in production - content, templates, workflow, etc. And they don't version any of the code/configuration. Very uncomfortable if you're coming from a release management background. Plus a few other issues (TeamSIte being unstable on Windows for whatever reason, etc.).
But, unfortunately, your post does not help me locate alternatives.
Adam Stoller
As someone else already mentioned - it would be inappropriate to mention alternatives to TeamSite on an Interwoven forum. I suggest you look around for some of the other, more generic CM / WCM forums, newsgroups, etc. and post your query there.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
bboyle
This site may help:
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
I don't think it's inappropriate for this forum. The term "CMS" is extremely broad and products on offer differ hugely in what they do and how they operate. So much so that I can see situations in which you could benefit from pairing a number of "CMS" products together to get the best of many worlds.
Migrateduser
As I was doing this research I cam across this. The content seemed very relevant to projects I have worked on - coding based on immediate requirements as opposed to designing based on the common requirements, and a platform that is, well, evolving.
http://www.percussion.com/products/rhythmyx/ContentManagement/UnfulfilledPromises.htm
So which versions of TeamSite would be considered first generation and which would be second generation, or is 6.1 still first generation?
lhdavis
Personally I see TeamSite as a Web Content Management tool and not really and Enterprise Content Management tool. So to me that's like comparing apples and oranges.
To answer your question though, even with as many complaints as we have about the product, I think the 5.5.2 and 6.1 products it would fall more under the second generation umbrella. Although I think it's still going to take me a while to get used to the 6.x UI.
I mean, at one of my customer sites we leveraged a lot of the OOTB solution workflows and the customer was happy that their end user can now enter data into a form and have it magically appear on their production website. No one has to convert content into html or xml, the workflow and presentation templates take care of that. And there wasn't a lot of customization involved.
If your client desires it, you could work on customizing TeamSite for the rest of your life but there are some reasons to argue against that and to leverage the functionality that it delivers.
It's all about managing expectations when it comes to figuring out ROI anyway.
Just my opinion of course which won't even buy you a cup of coffee.
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
Migrateduser
Is iManage a good fit for any of this? It seems to have some collaboration features.
Chat capability
Messaging/threads
Content administration/file versioning
Survey data capture and reporting
Intuitive
Scalable
Preferably integrates with .NET, alternatively J2EE
Open/component architecture (this system may need to be swapped out).
I would prefer that the back end be a database.