Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Email Notification When Conflict Prevents Submit?
B80116
Hi Everyone,
In one of our workflows, the submit task owner is the workarea owner. If a conflict is detected during the submit task and the task goes into "resolve conflict" mode, the workarea owner sees the submit task in his tasklist and can then use it to resolve the conflict. So far, so good.
I have been asked to modify the workflow to send an email to a group of people when the submit task goes into "resolve conflict" mode, so more people than just the workarea owner are alerted to the conflict situation.
Have any of you implemented something like this? Since the "resolve conflict" is part of the submit task, I can't see that there is a way to transition to an external task to send an email. And then I would want to somehow drop back into the submit task so the conflict could be resolved.
Is there a way to check for conflicts without actually doing a submit? If so, I could do that before attempting the submit, send the email if there are conflicts, and then transition to the submit task.
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
John
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
B80116
Hi again,
I just found this thread on the same topic initiated by Smitty77 way back in November of 2002.
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=DOWNLOADS_WORKFLOWS&Number=5971&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post5971
It doesn't look like anyone at that time had actually implemented a conflict email notification, but there are a couple of suggestions.
Mr. Smith, sir, were you able to successfully implement any of the suggestions you received as a result of that posting?
John
chart.jpg
Migrateduser
I don't know if there's a trigger on conflict (better to avoid conflicts before the job starts, maybe by having one workarea per branch) but the attached script can be run at whatever frequency to find externaltasks which have not called back (may report active externaltasks - could be modified to check if activation time is recent enough to avoid reporting) and submittasks (conflicts). My version emails the report but I don't know what facility you want to use for sending email so you would have to add that yourself.
Migrateduser
The good news is that a new feature seems to have been added to TeamSite in 6.0. According to the iwwf.dtd, the submit task can now have "success" and "failure" elements (transitions), just like a lock task.
The bad news is that it looks like the documentation was not updated to include this new feature. I will investigate further.
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
Migrateduser
If you use a submittask there's no way to trap a "resolve conflict" event, but there should be. Maybe in 6.1 there is, but I haven't seen any documentation that would lead me to believe this would be in there. I think it's stupid not to be able to trap this event. Yet another "feature" in the abyss...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Unreal. With the very few things that get changed in workflow, you'd think it wouldn't be that friggin' hard to update the stinkin' doc. This is unacceptable.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Johnny
I didn't know about the success/failure features, but I have been using a timeout in the submittask to send a notification.
Basically if the submittask timesout with a certain amount of time (1 hour), we assume it must be in conflict mode. An email notifcation is sent and it then returns to the same submittask.
We had to modify the email task to make sure it didnt keep sending emails.
Might be an option for pre 6.0 as the success/failure looks like the goods.
If you are using WFConstructor, I just noticed a bug with adding timeouts to submittasks.
It hads the timeout task to the sucessorset aswell.
John Cuiuli
Report.bmp.zip
B80116
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I ended up implementing an email notification loop similar to what James suggested in the other thread about this topic:
"Another alternative is to have another task running in parallel with the submittask. This task could be a dummytask with a "reasonable" timeout, whatever you decide is "reasonable". The successor to the dummytask could send e-mail that says "I think something is wrong with your submittask, please investigate." If the submittask completes before the timeout goes off, then the submittask's successor could inactivate the dummytask, so that the e-mail is never sent. You could combine the solutions and instead of having the externaltask just blindly send the e-mail, it could perform the task query to see if the submittask does in fact need attention."
Thanks, James! So far it is working great.