Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Reverse dplymnt- Unix to Windows - Ambiguous FN
Bowker
I'm trying to do a reverse deployment from Unix to Windows. On the unix machine I have two files that are different only by one letter being in uppercase/lowercase.
The deployment hangs with:
ERROR: Ambiguous filenames found in directory
Is there a way to "ignore" this error?
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dwayne
What is it that you want OD to do? Which file should be deployed? They can't both be deployed, because they map to the same file on Windows.
You could probably configure a filter to tell OD to ignore one of the files, at least for this specific instance.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Bowker
I want it to overlay the first one with the second one. 99.9999% of the time it will be the same file that someone messed up when copying it.
I would rather not put in a filter. A filter would be a "support point" for me if it happens again - I just want to get one of the files back and I really don't care which one.
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
Dwayne
Wouldn't it be easier to remove the offending file? ;-)
I don't know of any option in OD to accomplish what you're asking. Even if you could, you'd basically be forcing OD to redeploy that file every time to ran a deployment. Since there are two files in the source, and only one in the destination, OD is going to try to send whichever one is missing.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Bowker
Once per week I want to "take a snapshot of the server". I know, that's what backups are for. But for historical purposes I want to keep snapshots within TeamSite for versioning purposes.
If I'm missing a file here or there because of filename issues, I'm cool with that, it's explainable.
About deleting the offending file - I don't know which one (or both) are being used. This is for a "content repository" which can be used by anyone.
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
Adam Stoller
You should be happy you get the error message ... I think that came in OD 5.5.1 - before that I think it either failed mysteriously or hung [mysteriously].
At the time the error handling for that was being put in - there were discussions about ways to configure it to do the "right thing" - but I believe it was determined to be too complex and too variable (sometimes this, sometimes that) to be reasonable to try and support.
You cannot be assured of the order the files are seen - it's mostly likely seen in inode-order first and then sorted alphabetically - this makes it difficult to support a first-found or last-found algorithm.
You cannot be assured that the most recent copy is the right one - because users sometimes will pick whichever one they find first and thus they may both be getting updated at alternate times - this renders the idea of always choosing the oldest/newest version risky. (This is one of the primary reasons for suggesting that "you" should delete the offending file at the source - i.e. a manual task - not something OD can [or should] do for you).
You *could* put filters into your config files (like exclude everything then ends with ".JPG" but not ".jpg") - and thus take your own action for deciding which files don't get deployed ... but you might find that you end up filtering out files for which there isn't a redundant lower-case version - and you still might run into problems with things like "foo.jpg" and "FOO.jpg" where the extensions are the same case but the main part of the filename is in different cases.
Basically - I don't think there's any good solution other than to go to the source and fix it there by removing one or the other of the files.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com