Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Custom DCR Schema or Standard one?
nithinbose
Hi All,
We are trying to come up with some new data capture templates.
In our past experience, it has been quite a pain to parse the DCR XML structure that IW by default generates, so we are looking to possibly use the custom XML schema definition that TST now supports.
1. Are there any drawbacks of using the custom dtd?
2. Can I leverage FormAPI?
3. Will the UI look and feel be different since it is a custom dtd?
4. Do I have any control on the look and feel?
Thanks,
Nithin
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
But you are still going to parse the "DCR" with a TPL, right? Are you going to generate XML with the TPL or something else? Although I agree parsing DCRs with standard XML tools is a disaster, parsing with TPL logic is relatively straightforward. If your TPL generates XML it's probably easiest to use DCR structure (I'm no expert on this). If you are generating something else (maybe using XSL in the TPL to render HTML) or deploying the DCRs themselves then I would consider the alternatives. Also if you are using DataDeploy (which I hope you're not), I'm not sure how that works with custom DCR formats.
nithinbose
I agree with you completely.
The tradeoff would be to write our own XSLs to generate the outputs. Thats one of the considerations we are using to make the decision.
Thanks,
Nithin
gzevin
well, parsing DCRs with XML:
OM is not such a disaster as you might think
. It's not pretty, but before TST API was improved, I was one of the first in IWOV to offer the XML:
OM techniques to handle DCRs ...
Now - in 6 DCRs could be both OLD teamsite standard, and new 'free' format - you are in full control of how DCRs will look like and you don't need custom schema to create ones.
also - TST API could handle both types of DCRs even before 6, so one does not really need an XSLT processor to write a TPL
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU