Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
User 500 Error unsolved by KB article
markg
Environment:
Teamsite Version: 5.5.2.0
Platform: Solaris
Recently, one of our teamsite users started to get an Internal Servlet Error when attempting to log in. This only impacts this one user out of hundreds of users, which led me to inspect his account. Has anyone seen the error below? Also, can anyone offer insight after reviewing the steps I have taken so far?
When the user is at the login page (fills in username,password, & selects a valid role) it generates a pop-up window with the following message:
Error: 500
Location: /iw/webdesk/loggedin
Internal Servlet Error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.interwoven.framework.util.FingerServlet$Finger.onStartRequest(FingerServlet.java:258)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.UserRequestListenerSupport.fileUserRequestEvent(UserRequestListenerSupport.java:61)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.UserRequestListenerSupport.fireAuthEvent(UserRequestListenerSupport.java:51)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.AuthListenerSupport.fireEvent(AuthListenerSupport.java:60)
at com.interwoven.sharedutils100.util.EventListenerSupport.fireEvent(EventListenerSupport.java:71)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.AuthListenerSupport.fireAuthEvent(AuthListenerSupport.java:71)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.UserRequestListenerSupport.fireUserRequestEvent(UserRequestListenerSupport.java:45)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.openapi.OpenAPISessionFactory$FrameworkOpenAPISessionAdapter.fireUserRequestEvent(OpenAPISessionFactory.java:157)
at com.interwoven.teamsite.auth.Ticket.fireUserRequestEvent(Ticket.java:171)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.AuthServlet.fireRequestStartEvent(AuthServlet.java:155)
at com.interwoven.framework.auth.AuthServlet.service(AuthServlet.java:103)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:287)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:213)
at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:423)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Solution Attempt:
confirmed userid exists on box (in /etc/passwd)
confirmed userid exists only once in each editor and admin uid files
SOURCE: Removing a User From the TeamSite Entity Database in TeamSite 5.5.2 (Knowledge Base Article: 52405)
STEPS:
iwuser username
...lists username's details
iwuser -d username
iwuser -c username
iwreset
iwsvcreset.ipl IWAccessService edb
RESULT: user still cannot login
Any insight into this problem is appreciated
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Remove his cookies to see if (by chance) there is a bad cookie.
Also check for what JVMs are installed. I have seen that cause havoc with TS. Has he
installed any new SW lately ?
What rev of IE ? I had to turn off Sun Java in IE 5.5 before.
ALso try logging yourself in to his computer (or him on another) see if it is computer or user based.
HTH
Andy
John742
I think you are correct. Teamsite 5.5.2 did not support Sun Java (was not tested). I have seen some very strange things occur that turning off SUN Java and using Microsofts JVM resolved under 5.5.2
John_Dagenhardt@dom.com
markg
Thank you for the good comments. I am sorry, I forgot to include the the following info that shows it is not the specific user's browser.
Helpdesk transcript: (what helpdesk had the user do)
Cleared cache, temps, cookies
Cleared JAR cache - OK
User has 4 versions of Java.
Removed all but 1.3.1_02 - OPK
Rebooted.
Installed the 1.4.2_03 - OK
Reopened IE and tried to access the site - NOK
User tries to open the TeamSite - enters his details and chooses Administrator mode
but the popup gives the error message still.
Tested on my pc with users details - popup contains the same error.
John742
Ok so you are saying that no matter what workstation this login is used from, you still get the same error? But a different login on the all the same pc's works ok? Very strange. Have you tried to remove Sun all together and enable JVM? Perhaps it is the way the applet is interpreting the input.
J Dagenhardt
markg
Correct. Users browsers are standardized to IE and all users login fine execept this one user. And this one user cannot login (same 500 error) on his or any other user's PCs. However, I am waiting to hear if other users can sucessfully login from the problem user's PC. I will post those results as soon as I hear.
Not sure what you mean by remove Sun and enable JVM. I thought an internal servlet error comes from Teamsite's tomcat server.
nipper
So this is definately User based, not browser based.
What are you using for authenication ? LDAP ? local passwd ?
I had a case like this, one user, made a local login (as opposed to LDAP) and problem went away
HTH
me
markg
We use LDAP/PAM for authentication. The user accounts exist on the box but the passwords are verified via ldap. I plan on deleted and recreating the users account on the box and recreating it to see if that solves anything. (It looks fine though)
nipper
try making a local password for that user & check that it does local then LDAP.
markg
Alright, we setup a local password for the user and after logging in again, we still get the exact same error. So that confirms it is a teamsite problem and not a LDAP problem, correct?
Adam Stoller
You might have to clean up the entities db in TS with respect to this user.
I don't remember all the steps - I think there's at least one or two KB articles on this - but I believe it involves using iwrmuser.ipl and/or the iwuser CLTs - where you'll want to remove the user and then add them back in again, possibly followed by an iwreset [-a ?] and then have the user try to login again.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
markg
Thanks for the response. I believe the TS entities db is fine. I checked it as specified in the Knowledge base articles (49611 & 52405). To sum up:
1. No duplicate entries for the user in <iw-home>/local/entities/Data directory.
2. We did not migrate existing users from NTLM to AD.
3. UID in /etc/passwd matches user's one-and-only entry in the entity database.
However, the user still gets the same error when attempting to login. So, at this point, it's time to open an official case with Interwoven. Maybe they can make sense of the stack details from the 500 error....
iwovGraduate
What is your TS SP level ?
What does
iwuser -qa
<username>
show ?
markg
not sure about the TS SP level: here's what I found
iw.server: 5.5.2 Build 9036 SYM Interwoven 20020608
iwuser -qa username
returns:
User username
Entity ID 2355
Aliases:
Unix user ID 13452
Unix user name username
No related groups.
Properties:
iw_which_ui=webdeskpro
(there are no sce_preferences under Properties because i removed/added the username per the KB article)
This output matchs the one-and-only entry for username in etc/passwd
username:x:13452:111:User Name:/tmp:/bin/false
Adam Stoller
Build 9036 is ancient - probably no SP's applied.
5.5.2. SP2b (plus some patches) is build 16315.
I would *strongly* encourage you to at least upgrade your server with SP's.
Come the end of June - 5.5.2 [as a whole] is slated to become unsupported - and you'll have to look at upgrading to 6.x
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
markg
Thanks,
Currently I am building an entirely new environment (TS 6.5, OD6, on new, better solaris 9 box). But, that will not be ready to be deployed until sometime this summer. (Big corporation...) In the meantime, i'm supporting this "ancient" system.
I have a case in with Interwoven now, and am trying their recommendations. Thanks for pointing out the service pack issue though, I will have to look into that.
RobertPisor
markg,
I'm currently experiencing this exact problem. Has interwoven support been able to provide a solution?
I've deleted and recreated the user with iwuser -d & -c to no avail.
iwserver: 5.5.2 Build 22601 Interwoven 20030721
Solaris 8
Thanks,
Robert
skip11
Hi,
This is how I fixed this problem before, 5.5.2 sp3, Solaris 8, authmod default passwd (but with a pki hook)
1. iwuser -q <username>
<username> must match the entry for that user in the TeamSite roles
files (e.g. domain\username).
2. Note the Entity ID number.
3. If the offending entry is "20", for example, run the following
command:
iwuser -d -loc E::20
4. Flush out the entity database cache by running "iwreset -a" (this
also stops and re-starts servlet engine, OpenAPI, iwproxy and
iwwebd).
Then see if that user can log into TeamSite. At that point the entry is recreated.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
jonwood
Well, the problem has been resolved. But not without downtime. We actually rebooted the entire machine because of other unrelated issues. The user was able to login after teamsite came back up. So it seems that teamsite just needed to be restarted as interwoven said. In your case, I'd look into the suggestion above, where iwreset -a worked.
RobertPisor
Thanks for the fixes. We were able to follow skip's directions (which matched what we got from IWOV support) and the user's account worked again.
Robert