Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Simulating a directory tree in a DCT - possible?
System
Hi DevNetters!
I'm trying to develop a DCT to allow a user to define a directory tree.
At first glance, it looked like a good fit: define a single root directory with a replicant of level one directories which in turn contains a replicant of level 2 directories, etc. I didn't suppose I could make it dynamic to support an infinite number of levels, so I chose 5 levels as an arbitrary limit.
Anyhow, when I looked at the form I'd created, it wasn't very user friendly. By default, I get an input field for all 5 levels, even though only the root level is required. Sure, I could fill it out and get the info I wanted, but it would be messy.
So here are a couple of questions:
- is there a way to make a replicant field show up via a callout button? For instance, if I'm on a level one directory, I'd like to have a button next to it that makes the level two directory field show up. In this way, I could build all of the level one directories and then go expand the ones I want to add the level twos, etc..
- any thoughts on making it visually indented so that the user would be able to look at their input and feel that it's a directory tree they're working on?
I'm working in Solais on 5.5.2, but have a dev server with 6.1 installed - so I can try this in either.
All help is appreciated. Thanks!
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
iwovGraduate
- is there a way to make a replicant field show up via a callout button?
If I understand what you are asking, the problem you are having is that by default you are getting atleast one field in each (level of) replicant. In otherwords, if you had a all you replicants (possibly except the first one) collapsed, that might solve your problem ?
any thoughts on making it visually indented ...
The L&F of your DCT looks quite different in 5.x and 6.x. I would suggest you test it in both, and if you are planning to upgrade, don't spend too much effort in customizing the looks in 5.x.
Migrateduser
The minimum replicant number on all levels of the tree (with the exception of the root) is 0. So it's not necessarily that they should start off collapsed, it's more that they shouldn't even show up until I ask for them. That's why I asked in terms of a callout button.
Wally