Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Customizing Advanced Search
rajit
Hi All,
This is a very basic query about customizing the search facility in WorkSite MP. I have an extended object model over which
I have configured a library. I am able to add my custom properties into various screens using the view set manager. But
what I am not able to do is customize the Advanced search facility to be able to search on these custom properties.
Can anyone tell me if there is a method to enable the search on these custom properties.
Thanks in advance
Rajit
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
johnguilfoyle
Rajit,
You can build it by hand -- which really requires you getting some help from support, since the process isn't well-documented, or I'm *told* that SP1, due out very soon, will allow you to extend the advanced search page(s) the same way 4.0 and 4.1 allow us to customize other pages / objects in the system.
-John
JTNeville
Lissa posted last night that SP1 should be here by the end of the month and I concur with john, right now the only way to do something like this is to make a saved search, open up the actual source and reverse engineer it. Once you know the format and syntax, you can just look at the variable names in the Object Modeler for your new fields and use the code from the known variables substituting in your variables. I'm sure the Help Desk could make it much easier but what fun would that be (though I imagine Ajay or Imam would love the challenge)?
Probably have to repeat the process after any significant patch or service release but that should just be a matter of copy and paste from you custom source archive.
rajit
John/JTNeville
Thanks for your responses. I guess, reverse engineering is a good approach, I'll try that out.
The main reason I raised the query is that I could find the advanced search customizations for
the desktop components, and was wondering if there is a simple of way doing it for the
web components too........the documentation of worksite is of no use for such customizations
anyways........
Regards
Rajit
JTNeville
I'll take a look at the advanced search pages when I get a chance and post anything I sort out. I'll have to add my own items to search soon enough anyways. Nandip's team has done some interesting things with their view sets. I haven't had the time with being busy with migrating to 4.1 from 3.1, but I thought from what I saw in the webinar on them, that they had done a few nifty things in there that would be worth deconstructing instead of me trying to reinvent the wheel.
JTNeville
Looks to me like you'll need to do this for the saved searches (and is talked about in the Extending Worksite Object Model doc's). I know sometimes the doc's aren't up to snuff but this type of extension seems to be pretty well documented in my experience.
Then there is chapter 6 in this 3.1 PDF about extending searches. I'm sure there is a 4.x document I just don't have them here.
http://portal.vindicoretail.com:8080/docs/mp31UICustomization.pdf
Quote:
The second way to extend a WorkSite MP object is by creating a Metadata or
Category object and then adding it as a property to the object. In WorkSite MP
Metadata and Category objects are essentially a collection of properties that represent
an entity such as a company or client. This entity can be added as a property
to an MP object, helping to describe the MP object. For instance, if a document
is about a particular client, associating a client object with that document
helps describe what the document is about. When a Metadata object is created, a
table representing the object is added to the library. The table holds instances of
the object.
Metadata Object Example
A simple example of a Metadata object is Application Format, which is an object
that is installed with WorkSite MP. If you have a current installation of the Work-
Site MP server and have already established a library, you can view the table that
stores these objects. Open the iManage Library Manager application and drill
down to the Metadata node. (Cluster->Server->Library->Metadata->Application
Format). Click on Application Format and notice the list of applications. Figure
1.1 below displays the Library Manager window. Notice that the Application
Format object has three string properties: NAME, DESCRIPTION, and
EXTENSION, which are stored in the respective table columns.
blah blah blah...
Edited by JTNeville on 02/18/05 02:29 PM (server time).