Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Best Practices for obtaining list of files?
System
I ask this after having read through some of the OD documentation and reading through many related threads on DevNet...
What is the "best practices" method(s) for obtaining a list of files to be deployed on the source server using OD 5.6? I'm using IWXML on the receiving server and that's working very nicely, but am wondering how to obtain the same info on the source machine. Is this generally done through workflow instead?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
A list of files *to be* deployed - or a list of files *that have been* deployed?
IWXML.pm is used to parse the in-memory log of the OD server to find out what *has been* deployed - and as such - it can be used on both sides of the deployment in the same fashion.
A list of files *to be* deployed is a different matter - it all depends on what kind of deployment you are doing and what criteria you're using.
One possible way is to run a simulated deployment and look at the logfile or manifest file that is created (you can't use a DNR with IWXML.pm on a simulated deployment [yet?] as the DNR's don't [currently?] run when in simulated mode.
If you're driving the deployment from a workflow - chances are you're using a filelist based deployment and as such all you need to do is look at the contents of the filelist that you will be supplying to the deployment.
If you're using a sourceTeamSite based deployment with an 'area' and 'previousArea' you can use the CLT iwcmp to determine the files that will be deployed
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
iwovGraduate
I thought you could use IWXML on the source as well. Is that what you are looking for ?
Migrateduser
I'll actually be doing this by using sourceTeamSite but across different TS servers, so iwcmp will not work for me. Prior to deployment, though, I will be aware of the files being deployed via workflow -- I'm wondering if there is a workflow-independent solution to this.
Basically, my intention is to transfer the EA's from one TS server's WA to another WA on a different server. Without the help of OD 6.0 (am using OD 5.6), it looks as though I'd have to compile a list of files with their EA's and then deploy that list with the rest of the files. On the target side, this list would be parsed and "iwextattr -s"'ed. So, this isn't graceful and I'm wondering if there's a more efficient, sleek way of doing this.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
Migrateduser
I don't believe so. There's no real stream until the files are being deployed and that stream is only available to the target server, as far as I understand.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K