Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
cssdk - templating
Johnny
What's the road map for adding templating functions to CS?
Also what is it expected to look like in the future?...
At the moment PERL is used both on the user end for creating templates and on IWOV end for compiling them.
John Cuiuli
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
Hi Johny,
do you think that Java is a natural way of processing DCRs? I would not mind seeing java interfacse for, say, pt_compile and stuff, but IMO templating will naturally evolve towards XSLT processing of DCRs..
did I get your point or you meant something else?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
Hi Greg,
Im just talking in terms of CS API, interacting with it.
IE iwpt_compile functions. Seems like the missing link in the API (as well as constructing job specs), as it's all PERL now, I think that disconnect will be there for a while.
Thats why im asking to find out from IWOV what the roadmap is.
John Cuiuli
Migrateduser
I think PTs will always be Perl (Interwoven please jump in here and tell me I'm wrong!), which is a major hassle. IW may augment this with something better, but they have to support existing TPLs and generation processes indefinitely. If they replaced this, I think a lot of customers would jump ship as the change, along with the rest of the upgrade fiascos, would be expensive enough to warrant consideration of alternative solutions. If you want to support enterprises, you're stuck with the architecture you start with, no matter how bad it is or how many UI revs you throw on top of it.
It seems like it would be easy to expose iwpt_compile.ipl through a Java (I've done this) and/or web services API; I can't figure out why they won't do that for their customers.
Johnny
That how I see it too.
It wouldnt be feasable to
replace
it, but having access to it via CS.
IWSimpleFile can tell you if a file is generated/dcr, but it ends there.
John Cuiuli