Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How to rename branches and workflows safe?
meikel
I have two branches. each of them has three workareas.
The names we gave the branches and workares is to complicated for the users.
Now we have to rename it.
Are there any known Problems when renaming branches and/or workareas.
regards
meikel Selbmann
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JonathonG
The only thing to be concerned about is anywhere that you have configurations specific to branch/workarea. Some places to check:
- available_templates.cfg
- templating.cfg
- wft files that do something unique depending on branch/workarea
- custom code that has knowledge of branch/workarea
- deployment configuration files.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
Migrateduser
Wouldn't all the existing jobs reference invalid areas after the rename, or would they auto-update to reflect the name change?
JonathonG
Good question. I would *expect* them to auto-update. But I don't know if the workflow holds reference to the area
name
or some kind of backing store id.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
Adam Stoller
The only problems are likely to be those created by assumptions made in customizations based on the original names - and changes to appropriate configuration files (templating.cfg, available_templates.cfg, iw.cfg, submit.cfg, autoprivate.cfg, etc.)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
> I would *expect* them to auto-update
In most applications I would expect this as well, but in this environment I've learned not to expect anything...
Migrateduser
Just tried renaming a workarea and the system didn't do anything for me automatically except disassociate all the files from the task. Rename it back and it shows the files again. I guess you could write a script to locate the affected tasks and reset the area, but I didn't try this and anyway it can't be done for active tasks.