Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Newbie question-DAS
v7rg8
Hi all,
I am using TS ContentCenter 6.1, and DataDeploy 5.6. Is it true that we configure templating.cfg, datacapture.cfg and ddcfg.template, and then DAS automatically generates DD configuration files?
In Datacapture.cfg, version 5.x require <database> element under each <item> element, but version 6.0 doesn't have this requirement. I am not sure if this makes any difference in terms of creating database via the DAS.
I am puzzled which files are supposed to be created first, and which ones are second. How to use the DAS, should I create user defined database schema for each datacapture file first?
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
v7rg8
Hi, all,
Me again. I'd like to modify my question. you may find it's easier to understand.
I have datacapture.cfg developed in TS 6.0 and have data saved as xml. I am looking for a way to save the xml files into a database. Do I must develop a data schema for developing datadeploy configuration files?
Could anyone give me any ideas of the steps to save TS xml to a database?
Thanks in advance!
Migrateduser
Why use DataDeploy at all? Why not just have an onSaveDone trigger (or workflow process, or presentation template, etc.) that updates the database using Perl/CGI, JSP, ASPX or whatever? DataDeploy sounds a little overkill for what it seems like you are trying to do.
v7rg8
Thank you sooooo much for your reply! Sounds WorkFlow is much reasonable, but I was wondering what is the strength of the DataDeploy?
Migrateduser
> what is the strength of the DataDeploy?
I think that depends on who you ask - I for one would say *none*. I personally have a very bad impression of DataDestroy, but I am sure there are people that think it's great...job security. I would suggest grepping the forums for consensus. In the TeamSite 4.2 days even Interwoven PSO would choose Perl/DBI over DataDeploy. I went to the DataDeploy training and found it ridiculously complex. I prefer explicit coding using standard technologies to hacking queries and such into config files, then trying to diagnose problems from ridiculous debugging logs. I remember DataDeploy would bluescreen the TeamSite server if it could not connect to the Oracle DB. I also remember a nightmare of encoding issues working on a Spanish site. These issues may have been addressed but I am sure there are still issues. Database data is not properly virtualized in editions, etc. Someone needs to have DataDeploy expertise to configure and maintain the system - that's a lot harder to find (I don't know of anyone that likes doing that part) than PL/SQL and Java programmers. I think the root is what I consider a flaw in Interwoven's architecture (there is no database) and DataDeploy is a hack to get around that since almost any site needs content from a database. I think it is designed for an impossible any-to-any problem that even the largest database vendors such as Oracle might not be able to well solve. Even if Interwoven's architecture is not considered broken, I don't think DataDeploy integrates well with TeamSite's architecture.
v7rg8
Thank you so much, John. I can't agree with you more.