Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Should editorial comments be in tech forums?
System
In the past few weeks the number of editorial comments inline in technical posts has been pretty high. This means that people looking for technical answers and suggestions must look through a lot of other commentary.
I was wondering if this is annoying to other people besides me. I understand that sometimes it's inevitable, but I also wonder if some people might show a little more self-restraint if they knew that commentary was distracting to other members.
comments and flames welcome. this is the bit bucket after all.
regards,
lissa
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Isn't that what a moderator's job is?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
If the forums were moderated - yes - but then that would mean that *every* post submission went through a review before being posted and if not posted it would be returned to the original sender with an explanation of why [hopefully] - which would decrease the speed to which posts get responded ... or it means censorship, where a post gets made and someone else comes through and removes it (I'd rather moderation than that).
Given the search capabilities of the site - (improvements always desirable) - I think it's reasonably easy to find the technical answers if you're looking for them - but then again, I'm used to reading lots of posts and doing my own mental filtering...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I'm with you. Since obviously I'm one of the abusers, I am against changing anything. I think some of the technical questions people ask are equally as annoying as some of the **** I write. That's my opinion, of course. What I'm talking about are the obvious RTFM questions. But although I have a unique way of posting, I do every so often say something useful. I think there is as much nonsense coming from IW marketing folks as there is from me. Sunil (smenon) has written the most comprehensive and useful responses I have seen from an IW representative in a very long time. I think if IW provided more responses like his, there would be so much less frustration. The number of IW posts has dwindled over the years. There's bound to be frustration when you feel like you're not being heard.
I have said this before and will say it again - if
ghoti
wasn't here, DevNet would be virtually useless.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Personally, I'd like to see non-technical commentary in either the bitbucket or the suggestion box. But that's just me.
While our forums have a human moderator (that would be me), we do *not* preview posts before they go live, *nor* do I edit posts once they go live, unless the poster asks me to, or there is something posted that does not jive with our terms of use:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/site.fcgi/docs/TOU.html
see section 11 in particular.
Regards,
lissa
nipper
Since I tend to post not always technical answers I agree with Smitty. Besides
everyone wants to hear my opinions. If we can filter out Smitty's however......
Migrateduser
Lissa's neglecting the value of public shame. In the absence of true moderation, the threat of being flamed by Smitty possibly helps reduce the number of "someone, please do my job for me" questions. That's my theory, anyway.