Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Refresh DCT From a TPL?
kerryfriesen
Greetings,
Is it possible to have access to a DCT from within a TPL? What I would like to do is refresh the DCT form as the last action of my presentation template script. Any help, suggestions, or comments would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Kerry
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
iwovGraduate
Out of sheer curiosity: Why ?
I have never tried this, but maybe some fancy JS code in your PT can do this assuming that the DCT is the parent window of preview window. However, this raises issues such as what if the DCT window is closed, etc. Again I have not tried this and not really sure if it will work at all.
If you can explain what you are trying to achieve by this, maybe somebody can point out alternate ways to accomplish the same thing.
gzevin
I don't think that anything like this is supported. Too many scenarios and use cases to consider. As it is, TPL is not aware of DCT screen it is invoked from - I mean the browser instance. It will know whether it's in a preview mode, that's basically it.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
True - you can, however, modify the DCR from your PT - which means that the DCR will be considered "dirty"' and need to be saved before you can close the window (assuming you haven't already done so, or aren't invoking the generation from the File menu or command line) - we do something like this when we generate pages because we set EAs on the DCR to identify all the pages generated from the DCR (neat trick, but unfortunately incurs significant overhead running iwextattr), however this doesn't change anything *visible* within the Edit DCR window - it just requires that the DCR be [re-]saved before it can be closed (note: we *only* allow Preview from within the DCT form, and Generate is disabled except for being handled via a workflow process)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
kerryfriesen
I'm storing id/name pairs in the DCT using replicants. I have a requirement from the customer to have an empty (non-editable) id field for each new item. They want the TPL to generate a new id and insert this value into the DCR. After I have performed this step, the display in the DCT is "dirty" and does not reflect the value I added. This is why I would like a way to refresh the DCT, so the user can see the changes.
Regards,
Kerry
Adam Stoller
The only thing I can think of that *might* work is to use FormAPI to somehow poll and detect that it needs to do a refresh and then you *might* be able to have FormAPI force a refresh of the Edit DCR window.
Again - this is theoretical - I haven't tried to do this.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
I have implemented a CGI callout for this purpose. When called first time, it sets a unique ID, all subsequent calls will do nothing. The client wanted this to be a separate operation, so the users are aware of this process and the number. However, as fish said, one could think of a few other techniques as well.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
gzevin
yep, you just confirmed what I had said - that visually a TPL cannot control relevant DCT and some other himan-initiated steps are needed
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU