Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Find Most Popular Threads
System
Is there any way to sort devnet threads to determine which are most popular?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
AKB
most popular means based on number of Reads ? I dont think so that is there but then it will be a good idea to have that..
Adam Stoller
I think that's a pretty subjective desire - what one person finds popular another might consider a waste of time. Since you can't necessarily tell without reading the post - just looking at the 'read' count won't provide a real accurate assessment.
To what end would you want this functionality? What would you hope to gain by it?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I mean number of hits. Just curious what people are looking for - that way we (or Interwoven) could consolidate info on the frequent keywords.
lhdavis
I'll be taking bets on who will be the person to hit refresh a bunch of times on their own thread so they can be on the "most popular thread list".
Smitty is even money
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
Migrateduser
i have an enhancement request list for the forums. the pre-existing feature request that might be similar is to allow members to rate forum posts. that way members could indicate which threads they found to be most interesting. i'd like to do the same with the technical library articles, btw.
Is this close?
lissa
Migrateduser
I don't find any of the suggested ideas very compelling. What's significant to me is probably different than anyone else, after all I'm so special and unique. What I'd like to see, if anything, is a better search capability. Ratings and favorites are a waste of time and resources, in my always humble opinion.
Even better, take all the people who would have worked on any of this stuff and put them on the documentation team and produce a better set of docs.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
OK, how about this. Instead of being able to rate posts in a 5-star kind of way, what about a feature similar to amazon.com's review system where you can just have a button on each post and you can say whether you thought the post was useful or not. And so when you look at a threaded list of posts, each post could show something like
13 of 15 people thought this post was useful
or
0 of 30 people thought this post was useful
. I don't see how a rating system would be very useful in the first place, but there's no need to make it very complicated if you implement it. Of course, I would be one of the people looking at all the posts no one found useful, just for the curiosity factor.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
iwovGraduate
I agree to Smitty77. The ideas proposed in this thread are of not much use.
Amazon products and devnet threads are like comparing apples and neutron stars. If I am buying a digital camera I might want to see what other people think of it. Not in the case of threads. Everybody might find a particular post by Smitty77 very useful in some way. It might be useless to me. (Sorry Smitty77, had to pick on somebody
Regarding Articles/Tech Notes might be a good idea if the search is enhanced with an option to filter/sort by ranking/popularity. I think the KB articles already have something similar. Again, I might find a particular article very useful but nobody else would have. Just deplends what you are looking for.
Migrateduser
No offense taken. Even I am not very interested in a lot of the things I say. As long as I end up with more posts than Nipper, that's all that matters.
But ultimately I agree with you. The rating system is of no use in this context. I take back the nonsense about the Amazon reference. But I'll keep the addition to my post count.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
JonathonG
In reading this thread, I'm struck by the idea that what may be more helpful than rating posts, would be rating posters. Other message board systems have ways of rating posters, other than number of posts (i.e. Yahoo lets you "recommend" posts and # of recommended posts influences your rating). As Smitty so eloquently points out, sometimes # of posts is a lousy measure. I think it would be helpful to everyone if they could see the reliability of the person that is responding to their question.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
nipper
> I think it would be helpful to everyone if they could see the reliability of the person that is responding to their question.
Now thing would get really political. Please vote for me !!! Of course have to flood others with negative reviews.
Wouldn't need to do that to Smitty, he will take care of those himself.
me
Migrateduser
Again, what's the point? If you're going to throw resources at some improvement, there's got to be something better than these suggestions.
My suggestion - make
indenting text
something I can actually do in my posts.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
My suggestion - make indenting text something I can actually do in my posts.
You mean like this?
or
{
like_this();
}
Oh - you mean like without having to know anything about HTML formatting! Perhaps by putting in a decent WYSIWYG editor into the post-submission window? Yeah - I'd certainly consider that being worth more effort than a rating system (
regardless of how much it pains me to agree with Smitty
:-) )
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Yeah, ya big teaser. I know you've probably tried to explain it to me at least twice how to indent, but I just don't get it. A WYSIWYG editor would be ideal, and would bring this site into the 21st century. Nothing more fun than reading 100+ lines of code that is all left-indented.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
lhdavis
Why don't we integrate VisualFormatEditor for WYSIWYG editing? I'm sure all of us have it installed.
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
Adam Stoller
Why don't we integrate VisualFormatEditor for WYSIWYG editing? I'm sure all of us have it installed.
I'd rather see something different - preferably something that works from a Mac (though frankly, I can continue to hack raw HTML code if need be)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
lhdavis
I agree. I meant to add <sarcasm> tags around my VFE statement
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov
01rg
ghoti you are very experienced Interwoven user on devnet.
you shd give brief and to the point post.
now a days you are writing with full of ego.
Improve your habit.
Edited by 01rg on 07/27/04 09:01 PM (server time).
Adam Stoller
I'd argue the point, but I'm not sure what you're talking about.
How's that?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com