Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
unfreeze backing store with iwfreeze --
NathansDIS
Hi All-
A while ago our TeamSite server (win2k) became unresponsive. I had to reboot the server to get TeamSite available again. I did some research and found that an iwfreeze -- had just been run on the server while the store was already thawed due to a timeout of the original iwfreeze command(a result of a very long backup job delaying the backup script)
At that time I checked on DevNet and found a thread that I believe said that it is best practice not to use the iwfreeze -- command to unfreeze a backing store. Now I have users who are complaining that they can't update a file at one in the morning due to the duration of the iwfreeze we use to complete our backup.
The question is this: is it ok to use iwfreeze -- to unfreeze the store or should we avoid using this command? Any information, caveats or stories about backups and iwfreeze issues is much appreciated. Thx in advance.
-Nathan
Washington State DIS
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
We use
iwfreeze --
to unfreeze our backing store every day. Works just fine.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
NathansDIS
Have you ever ran and unfreeze on the backing store when the store was already thawed? This seems to be what caused our issue. Thx for the info. -nathan
Migrateduser
Don't know about that - we automate our freezing and unfreezing via cron, so we don't have to worry about human error
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
FWIW - I just tried this on a TS6.1 Solaris 8 system - and running 'iwfreeze --' multiple times did not seem to cause any problem whatsoever.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com