Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Feature or Bug: Workflow File Attachment
LooseCannon
TeamSite 6.1 SP1 / Solaris 8
Scenario:
1) Business user edits an existing DCR from CCPro
2) DCR loads in a template
3) User selects ‘Save As’ from the template
4) Saves the file with a different name
5) Selects Finish
6) Chooses the proper workflow
7) Enters job requirements
Problem:
The workflow attaches two files:
1) Original DCR
2) DCR created using ‘Save As’
These actions don’t seem logical. I don’t want to attach the original DCR…just the DCR that’s currently loaded in the template that I started the workflow from.
I’ve informed my users of a workaround:
1) Select the original DCR
2) Perform Edit > Copy
3) Start the workflow from the newly created DCR
But we all know how users are…
Does anyone else see this as a bug????
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Johnny
It certainly sounds strange.
I would check with support on this one.
John Cuiuli
gzevin
well, I already know the answer. 'this is an indended behaviour'.
I had a similar issue with attachment of a DCR if you edit a file from a workflow. I had to write a detach task to get rid of this issue.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
This is related but not exactly the same.
From what I understood from the original post:
If an existing DCR is edited, saved as a new DCR, both original AND new DCR are automatically attached to the job.
John Cuiuli
gzevin
did I say they were the same? I just presime that IWOV has now decided to make Teamsite to take some 'intelligent' decisions...during workflow lifetime.. and this decisions do often clash with the existing workflow.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
In reply to:
did I say they were the same?
ouch
Sorry, I still think it's a bug of the new "intended behavior".
Unless you have modified the original DCR and saved it, then save as another DCR.
Maybe that makes sense, though it sounds like it can get confusing very quickly.
Attaching both doesn't sound right.
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
I'm surprised it tracks the saved-as copy at all -- in that regard I'd say it was a nice feature.
The fact that the original DCR is attached makes sense from a basic-usage standpoint - and, as was indicated, you could have an externaltask script remove the original DCR from the job (assuming its easily identifiable).
The general approach I would use, would be to prompt for the name / location of the to-be-created DCR - then copy the "template" behind the scenes and provide the user with an interface to edit the newly created copy of the DCR with the name they selected ... and probably disable the Save As option altogether.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Johnny
I can't see how it makes sense.
If you have not modified the original DCR then it is no longer in question.
Sure you can put tasks all over the place to try and figure anything out, but the point is what scenario could describe this as intended use?
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
I guess it's a matter of perspective:
As soon as you edit the original DCR - before you've saved anything - a lock is placed on the DCR to prevent anyone else from modifying it at the same time. Thus it makes sense to me that when I register the lock for the DCR I'd also register the DCR to be attached to any associated job.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Johnny
Well I have agree about the locking situation.
OK.. the lock is sole enough reason for it to make sense to me!
Good point.
John Cuiuli
smenon
I believe that the expected behavior is to attach all saved forms to the workflow. For example - if you opened an existing form and made some changes to it and saved it as another form, only the "saved as" form is attached. If you actually saved the original form and then performed a "saved as", both forms are attached to the workflow.
Can you verify that there was only one "save as" operation? In the singe "save as" scenario, if it is still attaching both forms, please log it as a bug.
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
LooseCannon
I opened an existing DCR and saved it as another DCR (didn’t save the original) and both are attached to the workflow.
I’ll notify support…