Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Submission of unmodified files
System
In TS 5.5, when unmodified files are selected and the "Submit" button is clicked, user gets a message "There are no modified files". In TS 6.1, CCPRO, the same action brings up all available submit workflow templates and allow the user to run a job. I tried with the default submit workflow, in the end the submit task did not actually submit the unmodified files to staging, but there is no warning or error message. By checking the version history I found out nothing actually happened. This is not good user experience.
Is there anything configurable to make it behave the same way as in TS 5.5, or do I need to write a CGI task to check for modified files?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Why is it not a good user experience? Nothing bad happens. I had my own script to remove unmodified files from my workflows prior to a submittask because the submittask would get stuck if I tried to submit unmodified files. Now that it handles that within itself, I don't have to worry about it. If my users are stupid enough to push unmodified files, they should be happy that nothing happens. I think it's a much better user experience than before.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
Interesting. Hadn't noticed that change before. (another one for the 6.x thread).
There were times when people wanted to be able to kick off a submit workflow with unmodified files, where the intention was that those files would get modified before the workflow completed - but I think those were rare cases and generally convinced to use a different mechanism than 'submit' to initiate those jobs.
There are instances, as in my customer's submit workflow, where what you have selected initially may not be what actually gets attached to the job (we substitute in DCRs for any generated files that were originally pre-selected) - the fact that the workflow can start to run with unmodified files would actually be a "plus" for us - but I certainly wouldn't want that kind of change to be un-announced nor for it to become the default and thus not backwards-compatible.
I suggest you contact support to see if they'll file it as a non-backwards-compatible change / bug (rather than feature request).
In the meantime, you could probably handle this a bit within the WFT code itself, rather than using a cgitask - put some code in that runs iwfilestate over all the files and parses the output to determine if there are any modified files amongst the selection. If not, you could change the TAG_info() section to be an error message or something (there's probably a better way to do this, but can't think of it off-hand)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Reasons why is this not good user experience:
1)our users have zero training and it's not up to me to training them properly.
2)our current submit workflows assume that files are modified, so the first task is to invoke metatagger to tag them. And after this step, even unmodified files will because modified, and gets deployed, etc.
I agree that there are several options to detect modified/unmodified files, as ghoti listed. Maybe someone from Interwoven knows why the decision was made to change the submit button this way? Now, what's the point of having submit button vs new job?
Thanks for your response!
Migrateduser
FYI. Lasted update on this: IWOV support will file this as a bug.