Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Too many groups for Solaris
mike_jaixen
My sysadmin recently informed me that we had reached the limit on the number of groups that we could establish on a Solaris server. (This happened when we created group #82, but some of the groups are no longer in use; I estimate that we have approximately 70 groups in place, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually 64...)
We have about 110 users and in order to manage who can access each section of our web site, each section is in it's own branch and workarea managed with it's own group assignment. There are some groups that have mulitple workarea, but 80% of groups have only 1 workarea.
It sounds like TS 6.5 might address this issue, but being at capacity today, I need something a little sooner. My first thought is to consolidate many of the groups, and then use our approval workflows to ensure that nothing goes out that shouldn't.
However, I wonder if anybody else has other thoughts? I'm using TS 5.5.2 on Solaris 2.8. Group assignments are maintained in LDAP.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Are you sure about that limitation? We have an /etc/group file on one of our Solaris 8 systems with 125 entries.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
mike_jaixen
A limitation of 64-80 groups on Solaris sounds too low to me, but that's why my sysadmin tells me. I wonder if it's related to how Solaris interacts with LDAP.
nipper
I suspect it is LDAP related. We also have > 100 groups. Even though we use LDAP for users, we use
local groups. Since tsadmin group does not make a lot of sense to a non-TS server this does not lose
functionality. Can you do that ?
Andy