Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Newbie Question
GlenW
Please excuse the my ignorance regarding some of the basic aspects of iManage. I am extremely new to it and have had no training.
Questions:
1. I understand the difference between a document and a document shortcut. I know you can place a shortcut in a folder (or other containers as well). Can you actually "place" a document in a folder? If so, what are the ramifications of either method?
2. Is the profile information for a document separate from the profile information for the doc shortcut?
3. When I create a shortcut in a folder, does it automatically take the default folder profile information for itself or do I need to do ReFile or something similar?
Sincerely,
Glen Wolinsky
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Hello Glen--
On your first question, I think you may want to import a new file to a specific folder or move a file to a specific folder.
On your second question, I don't think a profile is different btw. a doc and doc shortcut--the shortcut is essentially a pointer to the doc itself.
On your third question, yes--again, the shortcut points back to the doc.
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
--p
Paula DiTallo - Middleware Architect/ .NET Developer
plditallo@metro-design-dev.com
adale
> 1. I understand the difference between a document and a document shortcut.
> I know you can place a shortcut in a folder (or other containers as well). Can
> you actually "place" a document in a folder? If so, what are the ramifications of
> either method?
There are three things here.
1. A profile. This is a set of information about a document. It exists in a "flat space" on the database; that is, it has no location in a hierarchy by default.
2. A folder link. This is adding a document to a folder. It's like a "hard link" in UNIX, or putting a document into a folder on Windows.
3. A document shortcut. This is another kind of link in a folder. It's like a "symbolic link" in UNIX, or a shortcut in Windows.
A profile has profile information. A folder has profile information. Neither folder links nor document shortcuts have profile information.
Neither adding a folder link or a document shortcut will inherently (depending on the client) change the profile information of the profile being pointed to. (Again, I might be wrong here with certain clients.)
Doing a refile *will* take the folder's profile information and override the values of the profile.
> 2. Is the profile information for a document separate from the profile information
> for the doc shortcut?
Again, there is no profile information for a document shortcut. It's only a link.
> 3. When I create a shortcut in a folder, does it automatically take the default folder
> profile information for itself or do I need to do ReFile or something similar?
I believe you need to refile.
--Aaron