Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
DCR name size
Enthu
Hi all,
Is there a maximum limit in naming a DCT or DCR ?
Enthu
TS 6.0.1
windows 2003
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Do you mean in terms of length?
I believe there are some OS-specific and potentially URL-specific limitations on the length of a filename and/or the length of a path (or URI) that will be accepted - but you're more likely to run into problems with UI-display of the file and/or path before you hit the actual limitation.
For example, on Solaris there is a /usr/include/limits.h file that defines certain max-values - like:
#define PATH_MAX 1024 /* max # of characters in a path name */
(hmm - I thought there was one for the filename itself - but I don't see it in there)
I believe there are similar constraints on Windows as well.
If you can manage to keep each path element and filename to within 50 characters - you can have upto 20 path elements before running into problems -- if your design schematics don't fit within that structure - perhaps you need to rethink your design?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com