Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
6.5 Search Growing space
kajjubee
I see that the search server is very very memory intensive & also the available disk space is going down like crazy. I have around 15 GB of content (on 200GB hard drive) but the search has taken 22GB and is still growing. Is this normal? Is there anything wrong? Also CPU resources are 50% utilized whereas if I don't have search server turned on, its 1-2%. Does anybody else have this issue? Is search a good option? I am very disappointed with this product and feel like not using Search. Any inputs appreciated.
Platform: Solaris 9 - 2cpu, 8GB Physical Memory
Thanks
K
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
skip11
Hi,
Teamsite Search tends to be memory and cpu intensive during initial indexing
of branches. After the initial indexing is complete, normal levels of memory
consumption and cpu usage are restored (at least in my testing on a 4x400mhz,
4gb memory, Sol 8 box). If you are seeing high cpu untilizations during normal
operations (not baseline indexing), then something else may be going on.
You might want to post a snapshot of "top" with at least n=50.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
kajjubee
Thanks Skip. Is there any documentation on how long the indexing takes for a 15 GB content? I have the search & index running for almost 3 days and I still see top showing iwsrchagent running at 49%. Besides, the space allocated for search is decreasing considerably. Since my last post I have lost another 2GB of space (altogether 24GB lost for 15 GB of content - INSANE) for search. What is it writing so much and when will it ever end! The users haven't even started using search and all this just tells me Search isn't a reliable product.
Regards
K
iwovGraduate
15 GB is the size of your backing store or just the content in your branch ?
I have a workarea which which has about 2K files and takes about 15 MB space (just the files in workarea). The index of this branch is about 20 MB. (TS 6.5, W2K, search and TS on same box, incremental updates = false, event subsystem disabled)
I wonder if there are any statistics as to how large the index grows and what does it depend on. The size/number of files ? Versions maybe ? Number of fields that are indexed ? Does it scale linearly ?
Anybody else using search can throw in their numbers in terms of the size of content v/s size of index ?
Migrateduser
I have 12GB content, most branches has 20+ editions, 20 EAs are indexed. The index size is 5GB. It took 2 days to create base-line index when search is on the same box as TS. When search is on a different box, indexing time is 20-30% longer.
smenon
This seems about right for the size of the index. Again the size of the index is a function of the number and type of assets you have in the branch. If you have a large number of media files or jpgs, gifs etc, the size of the index will be very small compared to the size of the content. If you have a large number of unique word, pdfs, html etc, then the size of the index will be comparable the size of the content - but I believe it should still be less than the size of the store. In our internal testing, where we had a large number of word and pdf documents, we found that the index size was about 30-40% of the store size. Also, it took about 6-8 hours to index a backing store of 15 GB size on a 2.8 GHz dual-CPU hyperthreaded Windows machine.
It is probably safe for me to add that your mileage will vary
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
kajjubee
Unfortunately its not in the same lines for us. The size of the index is double that of my backing store right now. So those of you who need to allocate space for indexing please bear this in mind. Also the resource utilization has not gone down. Compared to no search, search does utilize a lot of system resources. (1-2% vs 50%)
Also another thing I have noticed is search is not accurate. I tried searching in a specific folder (with a few files) for a word in the file, but I keep getting the same message: Your search resulted in no matches. Eventhough there exists a file with that word in it and the file being in STAGING. In some other contexts it works. So I have got very inconsistent results and can't rely on them. Does Search work consistently for you guys?
A frustrated TS Search user