Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How to test for OD running?
RonaldV
Hi,
Is there a
robust & solid
to check whether opendeploy is running a certain od-config?
Check:
- must run on the OD-client machine
- must be done programmatically
- must be solid, scanning logfiles is not solid enough for me. :-)
Hope to hear from you.,
Ronald (TS65, OD601, Win2k)
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
skip11
Hi,
The way to check for processes running in the stack is to check if the ports are resident
in netstat -na (on Unix, Win also has netstat -na) I think Tcpvcon is ok, at least is has a
command line interface which could be called from a script. I use netstat -na to produce
input to shell scripts which show just the OD processes on a Base or Receiver. As to finding
out what od config is running there, like a odrcvr.xml, no idea.
here's a snippet of very simple ksh which does the job:
if [ "`netstat -na| grep '*.9173' | grep -v 'grep'`" != "" ]; # assumes 9173 is running on localhost
then
echo "opendeploy rmiregistry listening on 9173!"
fi
if [ "`netstat -na| grep '20014' | grep -v 'grep'`" != "" ];
then
echo "opendeploy api listening on 20014!"
else
echo "opendeploy api down!"
fi
this can be executed from a cron and piped to mail which could be sent
to adminstrators if failures are present.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
RonaldV
Thanks Skip,
that's a good idea.
What I, however, was looking for (but failed to mention clearly in my question) was that I want to check for OD-client/sender running.
Can't do that via port-scanning I suppose?
Ronald
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601
skip11
Hi,
Ok, maybe I don't understand.
Do you want to check from the Base server if the Receiver is
up and running ? I suppose you could script a telnet host 9173 and pipe the output to grep and awk
to get the string "Connected". This would catagorically prove the remote end was up for receiving.
Now the trick would be to script the disconnect of telnet, normally a ^]quit from the command line.
If you could manage to send those characters to the connection, it will close the telnet.
telnet su58sr1 9173 | grep Connected
Connected to su58sr1.csintra.net.
^]
quit
I tried it from the command line and bash just does not like ^]quit, maybe in a script (perl might be better)
this could be accomplished.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
RonaldV
Ok,
I was hoping for a simple perl/java/soap-api or clt iwodisrunning.exe that would return abooelan indicating that the od-deploy-sender is running.
Shouldn't be to hard for Iwov to create, is it?
Ronald
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601
UserWorkload.rptdesign
skip11
Hi,
Well, I won't speak for Interwoven. I do use a facility called netcat to return states
from services running on ports remotely, and likely it could be run from perl.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
Adam Stoller
If you want to check the status of the Base Server (the "sender/client") - you can use
iwodserverstatus
- It appears to exit with a status value of zero (0) when the server is up and one (1) when the server is down - so something like:
if (system("$odhome/bin/iwodserverstatus")){
# problem
}
should probably do the trick.
If you're looking for a CLT to check the status of the Receiver I suggest you file a feature request with Support - probably something like (perhaps additional flags for)
iwodserverstatus
but which can take as an argument either a
hostname
or a
node name
(to be looked up in the
odnodes.xml
file) which would be able to perform at least the same basic status check on the indicated remote host -- and return the same exit status values to indicate whether it's running or not.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
OD 6 has a SOAP-based web services API. You can programmatically make calls to base servers and receivers.
Todd Scallan
Director of Product Management
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
RonaldV
OK, that should do the trick. Thanks
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601