Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
5.5.2 - 6.5 - To upgrade or fresh install?
Johnny
Currently on 5.5.2 SP3 going to 6.5 Solaris 8
We've been assuming that to upgrade will be the best path to take.
Installing SP6 then installing 6.5 .
Only our current installation is littered with a lot of obsolete junk (all required files have been identified) and I'm assuming a small number of obsolete iwov directories (httpd/config etc) might be left around as well.
So how crazy is the idea of installing a fresh copy. Can I simply move the old installation directory and re create as new, or do I really have to bother with uninstallation (I don't like that idea)?
I'm thinking that a new installation will be much cleaner (we have a test server that was a new installation so we definitely have a comprehensive list of all current files that need to be updated/migrated).
Thoughts?
How is every one else doing it?
John Cuiuli
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
G'Day Johny,
go for a clean one. We did upgrade 5.5.2 to 6.1, there was no major drama, but I am still a bit suspicious about how all fits together, as sometimes I saw some old directories left, even during 6.0 -> 6.1 upgrade
cheers
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
Hey mate, good to hear from you.
That was the thought I had, especially when reading that SP6 was required - I don't understand what it has which 6.5 doesn't during an upgrade compared to a new install.
oh.. and go to sleep!
John Cuiuli
iwovGraduate
Based on what you described, I would go for a fresh install.
Just make sure you have atleast 500 MB in your /tmp. I had one instance where /tmp had very little space and there was not way to specify in the installer to change that location.
I have noticed a couple of other instances where upgrade missed some files/directories.
Johnny
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for that.
I'd rather not uninstall the existing software (just move the installation base somewhere else)
I'm hoping that would be good enough - I'll be trying that out (unless someone has a comment on that)
John Cuiuli
iwovGraduate
I'd rather not uninstall the existing software (just move the installation base somewhere else)
You might have to be a little careful to remove everything outside of iw-home. TS dumps files in several different locations - /etc, /etc/init.d, /etc/rc3.d, etc.
Johnny
oh yeah, those bits and pieces should be fine, I would expect them to be handled - including the file system driver etc.
I don't clearly know why, I'd just be more comfortable controlling what is moved (instead of deleted).
But maybe an uninstall is the safest bet.
I was hoping to hear "Yeah I did it and it was fine!"
John Cuiuli
nipper
Hey Johnny,
I tend to agree, uninstall is the best way to go.
When you say junk, do you mean content or in iw-home itself. If the former, then a new backingstore
and upfgrade could work.
If it is in iw-home (which is what I suspect) then do an uninstall. I do not know what TS install will think
when it sees the filesystem driver & startup scripts in /etc but no iw-home.
May be OK, may not.
Of course I have no problem experimenting on your systems.
HTH
me
iwovGraduate
Well, I have done that - more than once. So knock your socks off !
In the previous attempts (before 6.5) I did not not remove the device drivers and the new install just went fine. I am not sure if it used the same device files or overwrote them or ?
But with 6.5 install, its only towards the end of installation (after 1-2 hours depending on your hardware) it will complain that it cannot create the iwfsd device files since they already exist.
Its a good excercise.
Enjoy
Johnny
Yes I mean iw-home.
I think I'll backup iw-home and uninstall - I'm not about to guess on Friday
Thanks for the feedback!
John Cuiuli
iwovGraduate
... oh yeah, those bits and pieces should be fine, I would expect them to be handled - including the file system driver etc. ...
You were expecting this to be handled by you or by the installer ?
What I did was effectively a manual uninstall, i.e. removed iw-home, and everything outside iw-home including the device drivers.
If you just remove iw-home and nothing else, the installer will *think* that you have TS installed and will try to upgrade, but will not proceed if it does not find iw-home. If I remember correctly one of the first things it does is run iwgethome.
Johnny
There you go!..
I knew someone already scared would be out here to warn me!
I'll definitely uninstall now
Thanks Samir!
John Cuiuli
nipper
Actually Johnny, I remember doing it. It was in a dream, but I am certain it was accurate.
Go ahead. You have all weekend to fix it.
Andy
iwovGraduate
Actually I was suggesting otherwise.
Johnny
Manually uninstalling the way you described seems to cover what an uninstall does.
So I may as well let it do the job.
John Cuiuli
iwovGraduate
Makes sense.
I did it because I ended up with a very unlikely situation where TS failed to install the uninstaller.
Migrateduser
Johnny how did the upgrade go? illl be doing ours (5.5.2 sp2 to 6.5) shortly...any tips would be appreciated.
-------------------
World of Warcraft
— Illidan/Horde
FD1WayWithControlling.rptdesign
Johnny
Well we are in UAT at the moment.
We've taken the backup, uninstall , install approach.
No unexpected surprises... just document and document and document and document... the usual story..
John Cuiuli