Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Best practice for perl: clt's vs. ContentServices
RonaldV
Hi,
I'm looking for a best practice for accessing Teamsite 6.x in a perl script (let's say: when you want to submit a file or publish an edition via perl or what ever you used the clt's for):
- via the old-fashioned clt's (iwpublish.exe)
- via local JNI (no Soap)
- via Soap (requires additional license, I believe?)
Which of these options is the way to go for now AND the future?
What should be considered when making this choice?
What is the future for the clt's now we hace ContentServices?
What does Iwov have to say about this (and why can't I find this nowhere in the docs)?
Hope to hear from you, Ronald
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
you should be more specific as to in which context you want perl to do these tasks?
Workflow? Customisation? your own application that will talk to TeamSite?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Bowker
I would agree with gavin, but to elaborate a little -
If you are trying to do something quick and simple in a workflow - the CLT is probably fine.
If you are building an application that will have a real time user interface - then consider CSSDK.
If you don't have Java programmers - then consider CLT
If you are on a very tight schedule and are over-worked - then consider CLT
If you have an application server running on the same box as TS - then consider CSSDK-JNI
If you have an application server but it runs on a separate machine - then consider CSSDK-SOAP (The license I think comes with a TeamSite developers license, but I'm not 100% sure)
If you don't have an application server you can use - you must use CLT. It is STRONGLY recommended that you don't run CSSDK applications from the TeamSite native TomCat server.
I'm using CSSDK extensively for the user interface I'm building because speed is my #1 concern. CLT's from Perl tend to be VERY SLOW compared to CSSDK
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
RonaldV
Thanks all,
thanks the kind of answer I was looking for.
I think it's a bit of a shame that Iwov did not consider to some how enable the SDK for use within Perl. For historical reason perl has been (and will be for long) be the standard to use in combination with Teamsite. Would be good if one could use the SDK in stead of clt's (which are always cumbersome I find in the way they report errors back to you)
Hope some hot-shot for Iwov will read this. :-)
Thanks, Ronald
TS552/TS65, Win2k
OD560/OD601
Bowker
But wait....
I didn't say that you couldn't use perl with CSSDK. You can. There is a SOAP interface that you can use and there are posts in this forum about using SOAP and Perl. I'm not doing that, so I pretty much ignore them.
Let's not get into a large argument over Java vs. Perl, but you can use Perl.
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
gzevin
yes, I think it was Johny and somebody else.
but what also is true - IWOV does not oficially provide CS SDK support as they do for .NET and Java
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
It's not very difficult to use the SOAP WSDLs in PERL...
It does at least open up a great number of methods that you would normally have to traverse the file system for.
IWOV do provide a SDK for JAVA only (not .NET). The biggest advantage there is that it is able to bypass SOAP if it is running locally - but obviously that is language specific.
There isn't a great deal of value of putting wrappers around an already SOAP interface for PERL. I think it's more to do with peoples comfort levels.
John Cuiuli
GridLayout.rptdesign