Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Maintenance Notice
jbonifaci
Is this the first time they've had a notice? It's the first time I've noticed it. Advanced warning is nice,
.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
It
is
nice, but that floating
Maintenance Notice
banner is making me batty. Nice... I feel like I've
already done
my St. Paddy's drinking.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
jbonifaci
Yeah, the floating thing is definitely a little annoying. The bolded red stands out enough on it's own IMO. Also, I think they should have made it green in the spirit of the Irish...
Migrateduser
At the risk of sounding like a dork, it would have been better if IW had put a little more time into it and wrote something with the SWF perl modules, which constructs dynamic Shockwave files. Ah, well...
Okay, maybe I'm a dork.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
iwovGraduate
No matter how much IWOV tries, we'll always have things to complain abuot
nipper
No kidding
Why use red ? that is no annoying.
A nice shade of purple would be easy to ignore.
While I appreciate the notice, since it is after work for (almost everyone) I do think devnet
can count as a non-misson-critical app & if one gets the Devnet Down page, no big deal.
Andy
iwovGraduate
Although I agree with you on the bold red text making my eyes follow it in a hyptonized frenzy...
If my memory serves me right, there was a lot of noise about the same situation - people complaining about devnet being down without notice. Oh well, now we have what devnet users asked for.
But honestly - whats the big deal either ways ?
jbonifaci
It is nice to know the time period it will be down. So we don't have to keep hitting refresh hoping it will be up to get our fix,
.
nipper
Jeff, you need a life. Big time.
Migrateduser
Y'know, I no longer feel like such a dork for mentioning the SWF modules... you outdid me, bud.
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
jbonifaci
I have a life... Doesn't mean I still don't need my fix though,
iwovGraduate
Hmm, now I know who are those
serious devent users
mentioned in this
post
iwovGraduate
excuse my ignorance - whats SWF modules ?
Migrateduser
I'm just curious -- how does Devnet give you a "fix", anyway? I've seen your posts... most of the time, you're
answering
questions, not asking them. I think the smiley face you used should be more red and shakey, considering
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Migrateduser
Search in CPAN for SWF. These modules (SWF::File, SWF::Builder, among many others) provide the capability of creating Shockwave files on the fly. Pretty neat. I take it from CPAN that these modules are fairly new, so no ignorance displayed!
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
iwovGraduate
Aah, all roads lead to one thing - catch up to ghoti. Only some 5K posts short, shouldn't be long at this rate
Adam Stoller
It will continue to be long if you leave notices like this for me to post a response ;-)
As for the
Maintenance Notice
I think its presence is great!
The color is fine
The animation would be nicer if it did it only once or not at all
- and one of these days I'll have to try playing around with those SWF modules (along with about 1000 other CPAN modules that sound really interesting but for which I haven't had a direct need to play with and so haven't found the time)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
OK, i'm glad people can boost their post counts; but since Nipper's now amethyst I thought he would refrain from jumping in.
As someone mentioned; you ask for notice about the site being down, and then complain when we give it.....
But, at the risk of continuing the flames, based upon the CONTENT in this post (as opposed to the ST Pat's data), we will NOT have the animation in the maintenance notice the next time we post one.
However, we will not be updating this one.
And to make the Aussies happy I will note that 5pm pacific is during WORK hours for them!
...And, since you asked: Why are we doing maintenance? (well, actually, no one asked, but anyway):
We are setting up a monitor utility so we will have better response/notification if the site goes down. Please do us a favor and *dont* try to test this for us
Regards,
Lissa
lissa
Migrateduser
Aaah, but what's that saying? "1% creativity plus 99% bastardizing ther people's stuff plus leads to innovation that you can call your own." Well, it went
something
like that. I consider myself lucky to have a personal web site that'll be 10 years old next month which sees 100,000+ unique users per week. Getting my "fix" involves using new tools -- modules, for instance -- to put on my site. My most recent addition was using the Google:
uggest.pm module which suggests alternate spellings of a user's misspelled search (or other) queries. VERY useful for a site with diverse users.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Johnny
The Aussies are always happy
And it don't matter to this one, I'll be well into a few st patty beers by then.
John Cuiuli
DavidMusser
I'm just glad they put the url in there... without the url the red text and the floating banner may have not been enough for me to understand that it's Devnet.. :-)
David R. Musser
MCSE & MCP+I
Eye Street Software
Phone: 540-542-5257
Email:
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Migrateduser
Hey, hey... maybe they've syndicated these new warning messages into an RSS or Atom and thousands of
other
sites are displaying the same warning where it's not
abundantly clear
what Devnet's URL is. Benefit of the doubt?
Hey, I can't blame them for trying something new. Thank goodness (or Lissa, whomever reads this first) this is the last we'll see of the flying
Maintenance Notice
banner!
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
nipper
>The Aussies are always happy
>
>And it don't matter to this one, I'll be well into a few st patty beers by then.
& Greg will be even more drunk than you since he is a couple hours ahead.
But I do not know if the celebrate St. Paddy's day in Brazil
(Lissa you can decrement one gratuitous post of you like)
DavidMusser
I think we should all be allowed to have red notices across our posts... :-) That would be cool, also don't forget the old "Blink" tag!!
David R. Musser
MCSE & MCP+I
Eye Street Software
Phone: 540-542-5257
Email:
dmusser@eyestreet.com
iwovGraduate
Well, actually I am all for it - I am already obsessed by it.
As I mentioned earlier devneters are going to complain no matter what - a legacy left behind by Smitty77 perhaps !!.
But seriously, we asked for a notification and we got it. Contrary to the flames, it serves the purpose and I would like to commend the people who did this