Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Using STRUTS with TeamSite 6.1/6.5
Bill Klish
I have seen the posts around using struts with TeamSite 6.0. Is it possible for me to define custom actions within a separate extension we are in the process of writing? I have tried to get it to work using a simple test and keep getting action servlet not available.
Is this possible?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Johnny
You mean using struts with in the UI toolkit (extending the content center app) or using it on your own separate app?
Struts is actually quite a big piece of work - I wouldn't think it's feasible (or even possible without some major hacks) to use it with in the CC app. It has it's own framework.. I could see it being too much work.
If you are talking about a separate app, you should be able to start with the sample apps that come with struts.. there are a zillion articles on the web about struts that would help you out.
John Cuiuli
aggregate.GIF
Bill Klish
We were thinking about using struts to extend the CC app, not write a new app. So, it sounds like this is not a feasible option. Bummer.
Johnny
Well if you can think of a logical break up then it might be.
I guess you want ask what it is that you are actually trying to do, and where the current framework doesn't directly support this.
Struts is really for a full blown stand alone app...
Extending the CC app is really just adding a bunch of servlets to an already existing framework.
Maybe someone else will jump in telling you otherwise, but it doesn't seem sound to me.
John Cuiuli
abackenr
there is nothing preventing struts from coexisting within content center (livesite extends content center with struts actions). you can add the struts libraries to the customer toolkit, and add a web.xml to define your action servlet. things should basically just work.
ariel
staff engineer @ interwoven
Bill Klish
Well that is encouraging. Should I open a support to get some assistance on making it work? I keep getting errors saying it can't map to my action servlet, like it is not found in the class path.
Johnny
Well there you go! ...
I hope your extensions warrant going to this trouble.
John Cuiuli
Bill Klish
I will let you know how much was really involved. I haven't invested too much time at this point.
abackenr
well,you need to put the struts jars in the lib dir of the customer toolkit, and add a mapping for the ActionServlet to the web.xml. i don't believe we support struts, so asking support about this is likely not going to be too fruitful. but you should be able to do the standard struts webapp in the customer toolkit and get it integrated properly.
staff engineer @ interwoven
Bill Klish
Thanks for the confirmation. I made a mistake in the location of struts-config.xml that caused the issues I was seeing. Otherwise, there was nothing to it, no extra effort, custom hacks or workarounds.
Thanks for your help.
Johnny
Sorry for throwing you off track.
It seemed dangerous to introduce a framework to an existing application.
As mentioned above, live site uses struts and there's no guarantee any other apps that plug into CC or CC itself may use struts later on. I'm not sure what implication that may have.
This could turn out to be an interesting discussion if we hear more from iwov.
The framework is here.. now we just need to know what their thoughts/best practices are for development
John Cuiuli