Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
DCT reuse
boskovuk
Our current DCT has two separate sections, one for content another one for metadata.
The application will need to support several datacapture templates and each one of them will be structured in the same way. The metadata portion of each DCT will be identical.
Is there are some way to keep the definition of metadata in a single DCT, so all other datacapture can be able to reference it and reuse it easily?
This would give us ability to change metadata DCT and the changes being automatically pulled in all other datacapture files.
This is the metadata portion of DCT:
<item name="metadata">
<label>Metadata</label>
<database deploy-column="f"/>
<replicant min="0" max="13">
<item name="name">
<label>name</label>
<text required="t" size="30"/>
</item>
<item name="language">
<label>lang</label>
<select required="t">
<option label="english" value="eng"/>
<option label="french" value="fre" selected="t"/>
</select>
</item>
<item name="content">
<label>content</label>
<text required="t" size="30"/>
</item>
<item name="scheme">
<label>scheme</label>
<select>
<option label="ISO8601" value="ISO8601"/>
<option label="ISO639-2" value="ISO639-2"/>
<option label="gccore" value="gccore"/>
</select>
</item>
</replicant>
</item>
TS Server: Version: 6.1.0 Service Pack 1
Platform: Solaris 9
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
(a) Is there some reason you do not want to use the separate metadata capture functionality for capturing / storing your metadata as EAs?
(b) you could probably use an <inline> directive within your DCTs to include the entire metadata capture portion of the code in each of your content DCTs.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
cliffhanger
Just curious, how would an <inline> to another DCT work??
Will the primary DCT be able to directly access fields of the <inline> DCT??
If yes, while saving the values, how will it do so, because it's the same DCT all the data-types will be writing to.
-cliffhanger
Adam Stoller
I suggest you read the documentation regarding inline's - how they're created, how they work.
They are essentially "include" statements - such that it is as-if the code were in the DCT that is including them - not as-if they were separate files being processed independently of one another.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
With an inline, you can do something so simple as displaying the contents of an XML file, which contains reusable DCT elements. This is common practice and the DCT will appear and function as though the referenced XML is in the file directly. Of course, there are many other options with inline, but I think this is what the original poster was looking for.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
cliffhanger
Dave,
I thought you could use inline only on <select> <checkbox> or <radio>, so how could you capture other DCT items from an inline call and use them in your DCT?
Won't this restrict the user doing the metadata capturing through these item types (<select> <checkbox> or <radio>) only??
I am a little new to this concept, so please bear with my ignorance.
thanks
-cliff
Migrateduser
Cliff,
I'm sorry, I just reread my post and realized I was misleading... you're correct in that the DTD restricts this usage to only those three item types, BUT I know I've done something in the past whereas I was able to reference multiple remote fields from one programmatic statement within a DCT. *sigh* last week, Greg gave me weekend homework and this week it's you! It's all good though -- I don't have that information where I am now (i.e. at a client site), but I'll look for it this weekend and reply to your post.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
gzevin
guys, even though DCT restricts the types of elements, the 'feature' of TeamSite always let one to bring anything into a DCT. I don't remember who, but I saw that this feature could be just left in the product.
we have 'legacy' DCTs where metadata is captured in a separate container (as opposed to what ghoti is saying about EA metadata capture). It's inlined from a file (that is is staging)
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
cliffhanger
Thanks Dave, I am honored that you took my inquiry as a homework!!
Migrateduser
Aha, and maybe that's how I'd done it before. Honestly, I don't remember, but in Cliff's honor, I will do some homework this weekend
So, are you suggesting that inline is able to execute basically any command regardless of its logical location in the DCT? If so, I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one around here!
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Adam Stoller
See this post by
James Koh
who I believe was the software engineer responsible for the introduction of inline calls to DCTs.
Basically the structure of a DTD was too limiting to indicate how versatile the inline was in terms of where it could be placed -- the underlying templating engine is not bound by DTD specifications - only guided by them ...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
yes, this is exactly what I am saying. People are reusing the whole big chunks of DCTs, not only metadata, by storing them in one location (say, config branch, or even outside of the content store).
have you stopped smoking crack?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
gzevin
good on ya, Adam, this is the exact post I was talking about!
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Hey, hey, hey... if you remember, I wasn't one of the suspects from last week smoking crack. I think it was Johnny and someone else. Anyway, I guess my weekend homework's done since I got two others to verify that this can be done and quite easily, at that.
It's been years since I've heard "Good on ya". Thanks for the memories!
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Adam Stoller
happy to help - I'm still a bit of an Interwoven Historian .... sometimes I even remember what I know and/or know what I remember ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
cliffhanger
Thanks to Mr. IW Historian, and everyone else for sharing their knowledge.
However, I am a little mad because the opportunity of giving Dave "weekend homework" just slipped through my hand...
and fish is to be blamed for that!!
My policy-if I cannot enjoy my weekend, neither should anyone else
-cliff