Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
PDF Server
peter_choe
Has anyone tried the PDF server for WorkSite MP? Is there any documentation on how to use it? (Just a side note: I installed the PDF server and it seems to be a repackaging of Adobe Acrobat Element which is only runnable in Windows, so how does that fit into a Multiple Platform (MP) architecture?)
What I want be able to do is convert any document to a PDF file and stream it to the client's printer without having to open the document.
Peter Choe
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
there are mentions of PDF server in Server Install and Admin guides. Basically it is invoked by the indexer.
Yes, the Adobe part of the tool only runs on Windows - even if rest of WSMP runs on another platform. The apps which print the docs to pdf need to be installed on the AES system and since those apps are mostly MS-Office then windows is required anyway.
There is more documentation in the program files\Adobe\Acrobat Elements Server\doc folder.
If you want a temporary pdf rendition just for print job (ie separate from the automatically rendered 'shadow' pdf), then you could call AES independently within a workflow. The docs describe the different interfaces (email, web services, hot folder, etc) for doing so. Then with a pdf in an output folder you could shell a print then cleanup.
Director of Collaborative Document Management, Asia-Pacific
Email:
barney.dunne@interwoven.com
peter_choe
I've installed the PDF server and configured it on the CMS Configuration Manger under the indexer service.
But I don't see the View as PDF option on my documents. Is there something else that I need to set up to have this option available?
peter_choe
i guess it helps to read the manual. i found the documentation to start the pdf rendition.
but now i have a question about the configuration. do i really need to have the pdf server on a different server from the mp server? because it says that i need to map a network drive on the pdf server to the pdf rendition directory on the mp server. but if both of the service is on the same drive, how can i map a network drive?
Migrateduser
best practice is to have separate system mainly due to spikes in CPU & memory usage when pdf server kicks-in to process queue and launches the office app to 'print' the docs. Also note that the pdf server must be logged-in to be active since it is not a system service but an app.
You need to have a folder shared from pdf server to which the indexer maps.
In config mgr > indexer > PDF > set temp folder as eg c:\pdf_renditions, then the share field to eg f:\ where f: is mapped at pdf server to a share such as \\mp_server\pdf_renditions. If not running W2K server, you may have to enable UNC in registry - see docs.
If all running on same system, I believe you can just use drive\path such as c:\pdf_renditions
Details are on page 62-79 of WSMP ServerInstallation guide.
Director of Collaborative Document Management, Asia-Pacific
Email:
barney.dunne@interwoven.com
peter_choe
I set up the PDF server on the same server as worksite mp (development server). I set the Local Temp Directory to c:\worksitemp\pdf and the PDF Share Location to c:\worksitemp\pdf and the PDF server to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
When I pick a document to view as pdf, a browser pops up with the following message:
A PDF rendition for this document is not available at this time. If this persist, please contact your support staff.
Is there a log somewhere that would give me a more detailed error message? I looked through the worksitemp.log and Acrobat Elements Server log, but nothing seems to mention what is failing.
Stal
Did anybody come up with a solution to your problem 'A PDF rendition for this document is not available at this time. If this persist, please contact your support staff' as I am having the same error after installing PDF add on module.'
Thanks
Migrateduser
yes, I met same problems,
but you can find more detail infor on tomcat logs ,please check
$worksitemp4\mpwebcomponents\tomcat4.1.30\webapps\worksitemp\WEB-INF\logs to find log.
there are 2 possible reason:
1. pdf server really do the job, but for first time ,you cannot view it , after serveral mins ,maybe you can view it in pdf rendition.
2. rendition job failed, you may find the log on element server panel.
if you cannot find anything, maybe your setup have probelm so that web component even did not send the request.
good lcuk