Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Support site cleanup?
System
What if IWOV allocated some resources toward cleaning up older KB articles on the support site? Certainly not all of the outdated articles are irrelevant due to newer application versions and many of the older articles either show DOS-like control characters or no newlines (displaying the content like one very long line). I mean, isn't that part of what content management is about? So, why don't the old articles necessarily look like the new ones?
Thoughts?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
iwovGraduate
Good point.
Also, I have seen many duplicates.
It would be a good idea if each article (or atleast the new ones) explicitly indicate which product version (along with any relevant SP/Patch information) the article applies to.
On a positive note, the KBs are really a great resource. It may be hard to find, but it does have valuable information.
Migrateduser
I think the version info is a great idea, but if the foresight wasn't there before, no one is going to take the time and retrofit the 50,000+ articles, nor should they. Perhaps it could be done this way going forward... but I've found the older articles to be valuable many times, which is my point: people still look at older KB articles.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Migrateduser
The support team is planning on a KB cleanup party. We are also considering a 2 stage obsolescence plan for articles; first to mark them as 'this capability is part of a product that has an announced EOL (end-of-life); and then 6 months after EOL has actually been reached to pull the articles. Let us know what you think of that by replying to this post.
We also could use your help. Any time you find an article that is incorrect; out-of-date; or just confusing, you have the power to tell us about it!
You can either rate the article (the right hand side of the page), or you can send an email to
support@interwoven.com
. If you send email; be sure you provide the KB # and a brief description of the problem.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
Thanks and good to know!
Umm, wait... I'm not sure I read that right... yep, I did... a KB cleanup party?? Uhh... you IWOV'ers really know how to... uhh... live it up?
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
iwovGraduate
Maybe you don't want to actually remove the articles just in 6 months after EOL. I bet there somebody out there on TS 4.2 right now. Just my $0.02.
On the other hand, its a good way to give them one more reason to upgrade to the latest stable release.
To clarify my earlier point, I know its not practical to modify all of the existing KBs to include version, etc. But would be good if that can be done going forward. Even that is easier said than done. It raise some challenge to keep this information updated every time theres a new release. I am sure its been thought over earlier.
Migrateduser
so you're saying we should mark them as 'obsolete' but not make them disappear. How about if you had to do a special search to get them?
I'm a little worried about bringing up obsolete information when you know you don't want it.
I see your point that you are interested in being able to find it when you need it.
Perhaps having to explicitly ask for it would work?
thoughts?
lissa
iwovGraduate
Thats a good idea - a checkbox to search obsolete items or something along those lines.
I am with you on the idea that "obsolete" information should not be available - atleast, not unless you explicitly ask for it.
I was suggesting on the definition of "obsolete" - i.e. 6 months after EOL is probably too agressive because there are lots of customers who use a product/release for longer than that period after EOL.
BTW, is there any beer at the "party" ?
Johnny
someone say beer?
John Cuiuli
Migrateduser
maybe root beer....
lissa
Preview_Error.zip
skip11
ahh, the high flying days of Silicon Valley software companies are long gone.
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
Migrateduser
....hey we're working. who knows what would happen to the articles if we drank REAL beer
lissa
Migrateduser
They would look like the old ones do now.
OKAY, FULL CIRCLE... this thread has come back to the beginning.
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
DavidMusser
What about removing some of the old downloads... Maybe make a current releases, and an archive link for the old version... I know I'm being lazy, but scrolling down that list is tough some days :-)
David R. Musser
MCSE & MCP+I
Eye Street Software
Phone: 540-542-5257
Email:
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Migrateduser
If you mean the patch area, we are planning to update our patch area soon. We will be archiving some EOL products listed and possibly allow selections by product and version separately to make the list a little more manageable. We will also be updating some of the fields that we currently display.
I am also the person managing the KB cleanup party (yes party). Anytime you guys spot a KB that you would like to see updated. Please let us know. You can hit the feedback button anytime you are on support, and send us the KB number, and we will reply back or you can send an email to
ts-systems@interwoven.com
.
Thanks for the feedback!
Heather Simon
Interwoven Technical Support
jbonifaci
It might be nice if there were a system for rating how helpful a tech article were. IMO, most of the technical articles contributed aren't very worth while. If there were a rating system in place, it would help users find more useful information.
Migrateduser
There is a rating system on the support site as part of the article viewing capability. We have not exposed this to DevNet, but we have discussed it.
If you think we should have it here; chime in.
lissa
Migrateduser
What does this ratings system produce, though? Does it weigh in with search results? If so, I think that's useful but then I'd ask myself: how many people would actually rate the articles/posts?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
Migrateduser
i think IWOV gets the results; we use them to tell us to either modify or pull articles.
The thoughts I had for DevNet was to show the ratings.
But youre right; not many people bother to rate what they read; only if they REALLY like it; or REALLY don't.
regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
I think if IWOV could use the ratings to weigh into search results, that would be cool. As far as people taking the time to rate them, what if there were some artificial incentive for doing so, similar to the contribution levels on DevNet? Or, maybe a DevNet post could be featured somewhere because so many people voted it useful.
I maintain a recipe and cooking-related web site where folks come by and leave comments on recipes. Subsequently, people will also come by and rate these comments. Initially, I didn't think people would care too much to rate the comments, but they certainly have and continue to do so. Comments are also featured on the site's home page, but it's not based on popular utility -- just random.
How does that sound for DevNet?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP2 on W2K
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K