Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
downloading directories unsupported?
plantronics
I select a directory in the TS 6.5 GUI, select File > Download, and get the error message "Not a valid type of file for this operation: directoryname". The Download action only works for files. This is a big hinderance since we have alot of files we'd like to download that exist in recursive directories and the only way to do this is to manually navigate to each one and click the files within and then Download, rather than just getting the directory and all nested files/directories. This is a common feature within FTP programs and has been around since the advent of the graphical OS, yet it is unsupported in TS?
I am thinking it could be done with a script if there is a command line tool for download action. But I dont see one.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
james1
There is no "command line tool for download action". Instead, there is the file system interface. You can, for example, use your favorite FTP program to download whatever you want.
Hope this helps.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
gzevin
or... samba....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
plantronics
thanks. we've gone down those roads before but are trying to stick to doing everything through the teamsite interface for keeping the EAs intact when copying, audit trails, and other things that do not work when bypassing teamsite internals. Seems like an easy enough feature to implement. Consider it a feature request
gzevin
Frankly, I am not sure how would you preserve EAs by using the download feature.....
The moment you take your assets off the content store, it loses the EA, unless you took care and captured them.
Am I missing something?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
herald10
we are using samba for the same thing. And never had any issues with EAs.
james1
Your local copy of the file has no EA's, but the original copies (in TeamSite) still have their EA's (copying or downloading a file does not remove the EA's on the original), and if/when you overwrite those files in TeamSite (upload new versions), they will continue to have the same EA's that they had before you overwrote their contents.
Hope this helps.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
m9w
We also have the same problem, a site structure with numerous folders, and no way to download them in one go.
We also don't have the luxury of connecting via samba or ftp, so are stuck with having to manually select the files in each folder.
This is becoming a real pain when trying to keep a local copy of the site up to date for development away from the LAN.
Any plans to add this as future functionality would greatly improve our user experience of Teamsite.
Adam Stoller
Any plans to add this as future functionality would greatly improve our user experience of Teamsite.
I suggest you contact support and ask them to either add you to an existing feature request (if one exists) or create a new feature request for you in this regard.
I
thought
that at one point IWOV was looking into providing this functionality, but I'm not sure whether I recall correctly and if so, whatever happened to it...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Gregg Faus
If anyone has some extra time, you could just write a quick perl script to zip up files recursively and then, once generated, make the file available for download. Maybe not that easy... but not that difficult.
I've been wanting to do this for some time now, just have gotten to it yet. Send the bill to IWOV.
Adam Stoller
The problem with that approach is that TS / LaunchPad keeps track of what's been downloaded - so the only way you'd be able to re-sync from your local disk would be to perform the exact same operation in reverse -- not really a good way to handle off-line editing (IMO).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Gregg Faus
My idea wouldn't incorporate Launchpad to handle the file download. It would be a menu option underneath File-Download which the script would present a temporary file that would expire after a certain duration.
A lot of our designers work locally on an entire website and it would be great if they could just download the zip, extract, and upload whatever files they've modified.
They rarely edit individual pages. Importing files is the usual upload mechanism since the IWSERVER share is on a different network. We also don't have multiple people editing the same branch typically so that is not an issue.
DavidMusser
I like that option as well. If you think about it there are times you just want to download seveal files so that ... maybe images display in dreamweaver ;-) And I always hate giving SAMBA or nFS access to the TeamSite server
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
boskovuk
I agree, this functionality would significantly help the overall experience with TeamSite.
I hope Interwoven guys read these forums and get the feedback as next release wish list.
TS Server Version: 6.1.0
Service Pack 2 (Build Number: 41240)
Platform: Solaris 5.9
Gregg Faus
I'm almost finished with a custom feature to download an entire directory. It is implemented in Java and integrates into the File menu. You just select the files/directories you wish to download, then click the "Download to Zip" menu item, pick any filters if you wish, and then click the download link once the files are zipped.
I attached a few screenshots of what it looks like. I will post more information on this when it is ready. I'm just debugging right now.
- gf
Gregg Faus
I've posted the first iteration of my customization to download multiple files/directories.
View this thread for download and installation instructions:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=PRODUCTS_TEAMSITE&Number=65713