Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Windows vs Solaris
boskovuk
We are considering installing a TeamSite 6.5 version on a new box. What would be the preferred choice in the Windows vs. Solaris dillema?
Important:
Existing application has been develope on Solaris and TS 6.1. The application needs to be transferred to this new box.
I agree, the new box should probably be Solaris based - however, we just wanted to hear comments from people who have had similar experience.
TS Server Version: Interwoven TeamSite 6.5.0.0 (Build Number: 41240)
Platform: Win 2K
PHP: 5.04
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Rule number 1. Run TS on the same platform as the site you are developing (if possible)
Rule number 2. If you develop for a mixed set of platforms, use Unix. I have seen a number
of problems moving case insensitive links from DOS to case sensitive Unix and 404 errors.
Rule number 3. I am a Unix bigot.
Andy
Migrateduser
If you decide to go with Solaris, are you able to dedicate a server to it or would you plan for it to live on a box with the "existing application"?
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
DavidMusser
I agree with rule number 1... Keeping everything on the same platform makes life better.
The general rule of thumb I use is... if it's a simple site, and only semi enterprise level... (i.e. just starting) go with windows. When you move into the Enterprise level go with Solaris... This from a person who actually likes windows.. :-)
The reason I say this is with Solaris you know what you are getting... the upgrades don't change a lot (at least most of them don't) and you are fairly safe. In windows you just never know what the next version will do... i.e. change permissions on something so that a preview will not showup cause IIS has the file locked...
If you do go with windows I actually like using Windows, and Apache, so that I skip that IIS factor.
I'm following that plan where I am, and hopefully when we are ready for our enterprise rollout Linux will be ready.
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Adam Stoller
Rule number 0 (heh - pre-empting;-): You cannot move a backing store from windows to unix or vice-versa -- you would have to copy each file over losing properly dated history, etc and it would take an incredible amount of time to do it 'right'.
I'm a Unix fan too - ergo biased in favor of using Unix over Windows any day of the week.
(I just wish they'd manage to get the server to run on MacOS-X so I could get rid of my peecee completely ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Uhh, wasn't I reading that the Visual Formatter doesn't even RUN on Mac? I'd highly doubt the possibility of Teamsite running on a Mac anytime soon, besides it creating yet another column of documentation on the support site.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
DavidMusser
Unless you don't have a requirement for the complete file history :-) Or like some of the customers who upgraded and lost the backing stores... you can just extract the meta information and start with a fresh clean backing store :-)
So that's the plan where I am, but it's due to the lack of the requirement for the history post OS switch. We will backup the editions, and maybe keep the Winders box around for a bit as a dev box (i.e. purchase new license) or just turn it off in case we have to go that far back.
so... rule 0.0.0 (using my way way back machine) are there any other requirements that you have that would impact the OS decision...
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
DavidMusser
Also there's that only one mouse button issue... and what the heck is a propeller key?
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Adam Stoller
Uhh, wasn't I reading that the Visual Formatter doesn't even RUN on Mac? I'd highly doubt the possibility of Teamsite running on a Mac anytime soon, besides it creating yet another column of documentation on the support site.
What does Visual Formatter have to do with anything - the VFE runs client-side doesn't it (and it doesn't work on the Mac's now as clients anyway)
MacOS-X would just be another Unix variant (Solaris, AIX, [HP-UX occasionally], Linux, MacOS-X)
so... rule 0.0.0 (using my way way back machine) are there any other requirements that you have that would impact the OS decision...
Are you playing at being Sherman or Peabody ? ;-)
Also there's that only one mouse button issue... and what the heck is a propeller key?
Actually - you can get 3-button mice (or 2-buttons with a scroll wheel) for Macs too -- and what the heck is a windows key ? ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
DavidMusser
Fish,
Ok... you had me there... I was almost a believer in Mac... then you said it was a unix varient like HPUX, and you notice no one is saying Install on that anymore, that is unless they work for IBM and threaten the customer :-)
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Migrateduser
You're right that they do that, but on AIX, not HPUX - I'm speaking from personal experience
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
DavidMusser
You are right... I got my off brands of Unix mixed up... Coke Pepi it's all the same right?
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
DavidMusser
You may want to ask your sales guy as well. At one time there was some performance testing done. The version I saw was coparing AIX to Solaris, and Windows, and had an IBM slant to it, but there may be others that will show you the performance difference between the two.
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
boskovuk
This is not clear yet. I assume it is going to be a dedicated box.
Are you concerned with the performance of the TS (case with other applications running at the same time)?
TS Server Version: 6.1.0
Service Pack 2 (Build Number: 41240)
Platform: Solaris 5.9
Migrateduser
Well, yes and no. I know that if you were to call up Support in the future about a problem and you've got many other things running on this box, they'll basically harass you about it. I have seen TeamSite play very nicely with other apps on the same box, though. The question I asked was pretty much a standard question that you might find in a support manual, but basically, it's better if you can dedicate a server to TeamSite alone, but if not, it's not all that bad -- depending on what other specific apps are running on the box.
I was on a project 3 years ago where the client had 2 instances of TeamSite, 3 (yes, THREE) instances of WAS, and multiple instances of other heavy applications running on the SAME box and even though this box was treated like the fragile, unstable child that it seemed to be, it performed just fine and that's where system administration and maintenance take over.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(3) TS 6.1 on W2K
skip11
Hi,
Two problems with large UNIX implementations IMHO (listen, I've been working on Solaris for 20 years, so I can ****)
1) Expensive hardware for a large platform using SAN HDS, or other.
2) down rev from 6.5 installs have the 16 group problem.
other than that, it's clean and green. IMO or course.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland