Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Standard vs Professional performance
pbenn
Using TS 6.1 SP2 Sol 5.9 and IE6.0 client
Sorry if this is a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question.
I'm experiencing a major performance difference between the main portal page of the standard interface vs the professional interface, namely, the std interface takes about 15 seconds to load after every click whereas the professional interface loads in under a second.
Once I get off the portal page (say into a job or task) the standard interface and professional interface performance is the same. That's not surprising, I suppose, because the forms are the same.
We've done no customisations to the main portal page.
Any ideas as to where I can start looking for performance related issues? The box isn't max'd out. A few directories have close to 2000 files in the backing store, but I'm no where near browsing the file system when I bring up the standard interface.
Thanks,
P.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Bill Klish
Unfortunately, when standard loads, it checks the complete backing store for information that you have access to. It processes all branches to get the list of workareas in that porlet, and then processes templating.cfg to get all the available templates for you (if all forms is selected). Similar thing happens with the work in progress portlet. All of this preloading happens whenever you use the interface.
We have the same issue.
pbenn
Rats ... have you heard/know if the performance in 6.5 is any better?
Thanks
Bill Klish
Only have a 6.5 test box, which doesn't have nearly the volume of the real backing stores. I am not sure there is a real "fix", but more a dependency on your setup. How many workareas does this user have access to that is causing the 15 second load times?
gzevin
I was the first to report this behaviour to Interwoven, and we basically pushed for a fix. In our cases the delay was 3-4 minutes
6.1 SP2 has that fix (it was released to us and some other clients separately as well), one should enable it, though, look for My Workareas portlet in the SP2 documentation.
the performance does improve, not in all cases. You can improve the performance dramatically by removing the Work in Progress portlet.. but not everyone wants this.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
pbenn
The users have access to 16 workareas. There certainly is a case to be made for limiting user access to only a subset of these. I suppose that would be a good place to start to restrict the number of workareas to a minimal set.
Thanks,
P.
pbenn
Not much luck enabling the My Workareas Portlet edit feature. I did the following:
1) I edited the <iw-home>local/config/lib/content_center/customer_src/etc/conf/customer/application_custom.xml file (after reconfirming I had SP2) and set the
<param id="iw.common.my_workareas.configurable.property" value="true"></param>
2) I ran <iw-home>/install/install_webapps.ipl -i -f
I still don't see any changes in the Std GUI and the performance issue remains
The other thing I noticed was that the param id setting I added was not added to the <iw-home>/httpd/webapps/content_center/WEB-INF/conf/customer/application_custom.xml after I ran install_webapps.ipl, which can't be good. Here's the full application_custom.xml file:
<applications>
<application id="ccstd">
<param id="skip-tag-step" value="true" />
<param id="iw.common.my_workareas.configurable.property" value="true"></param>
</application>
</applications>
gzevin
did you RTFM? one has to run make_toolkit.ipl to effect UI changes, done in xml's
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
gzevin
in the case of master/administator kind of users this is not possible
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
pbenn
Thanks Greg. make_toolkit did the trick. However, the performance still lags. After we clear things out of the backing store when we go into production, I'm betting (hoping) that the performance will pick up a bit.
For those looking for the RTFM reference, see uicg.610.cg.pdf. Note that this is different than the UICG.pdf reference in 6.0
gzevin
I am also not impressed with this fix. Basically, our users are still unable to use CC STD.
IMO, CC STD is not suitable as an enterprise application interface. bad architecture... really bad
I am thinking about disabling the Work in Progress portlet
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
ConditionalCrosstabHighlight.zip
pbenn
Have you looked at Worksite MP, at all? It's an IWOV product that seems to have a slicker (=faster?) document and workflow management interface. I believe IWOV purchased the customisation from iManage a while ago. Sounds like iManage took one look at the std interface and saw an opportunity to improve things.
P.
pbenn
Also, I forgot to mention, the horsepower of the box made a big difference during tests I ran on an old machine. Our 'new' machine was only a single CPU. The 'old' machine we used to use was effectively double the size. The performance of the std interface was much better on the 'old' machine when I tested it last week. So, if you have a spare 50K lying around ...
P.
gzevin
yes, I do have an account on Interwoven's WorSite MP server (as I subcontract for IWOV sometimes).
I think the will be some synergy between two system.. how easy this to implement, I don;t know...
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
smenon
I just wanted to point out that there were two fixes that were made for the "CC-Std Performance Issue" that you are discussing here. The first is the ability to select favorite workareas such that only those worakreas are displayed when you log in to CC-Std. We found that this is a much more usable model.
The second was a server side fix to improve the performance of listing modified files. This fix was included with TS 6.5 SP1 and hopefully you shouldn't see any major performance issues with the CC-Std Home Page. Have you tried this with TS 6.5 SP1? I'll be interested in knowing if it fixed your performance problem or not..
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
Master-crosstab-hyperlink.rptdesign
pbenn
We'll be upgrading to 6.5 in about 4 weeks, so I'll be sure to report back to the group
gzevin
We have not upgraded this particular account to 6.5 yet. The My Workarea fix did work, but not for 'heavy' users.
One of the accounts had to remove the Work in Progress portlet to get an acceptable performance
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU