Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TeamSite installation on an iPod?
System
Don't anyone even start with the "unsupported" remarks, but I know that there have been those who've installed Linux OS on an iPod. This leads me to the question that comprises the subject line of this post: has anyone ever attempted or thought of attempting to install TeamSite on an iPod that's running Linux or some other TS-supported OS?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
While I'd love to see TeamSite running on MacOS-X ....
Other than the potential novelty of getting it to work - what would be the purpose / usefulness of getting TeamSite running on Linux on an iPod ?
You might be able to put a backing store onto an iPod and then mount the iPod as a disk on another server where TS is supported - to allow you to travel around with a backing store for demo purposes or something - but basides that?
(if you play a TS 6.5 backing store backwards you'll hear "freddy is the master, freddy is the master, ..." ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
In my mind, it's almost entirely for novelty. I enjoy hearing stories about -- but never bother directly participating in -- accomplishing the remotely possible and insanely stupid. For instance, I knew someone 10 years ago who had programmed a very bare IRC chat server (remember those??) on to a floppy disk.
For demo purposes, it'd be great, but while laptops come in all different sizes and flavors these days, it would seem to me that they're portable enough. Perhaps it would be a necessity for someone like that guy in Colorado a few years ago who was some sort of a computer whiz / outdoors fanatic and got stuck in a ravine for 8 days. He survived because of his knowledge, experience, and intuition, but what if someone stored their life saving skills on a content management system like -- well, TeamSite? What if they needed to log in to this CMS in order to figure out what to do?
Okay, bad example... but, I tend to think that this would NOT work because TS requires a MAC id for licensing purposes, whereas an iPod uses a 1394 connection to interface. But, I wonder if this could be hacked...
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Migrateduser
why would you waste precious space on your iPod for music on a TeamSite install?
my 40gig is overloaded
-------------------
World of Warcraft
— Illidan/Horde
Migrateduser
that is so far beyond me -- I was a music major as well a a comp. sci. major but I still don't understand how someone could fill up 40GB with music! That's like 20,000 songs... wow. Personally, I wouldn't use that space for TeamSite -- I'd use it for other things, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this or has some insight as to whether or not something like this could work.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Migrateduser
hmmm well i still buy alot of CDs and im big into quality so i rip w/ Exact Audio Copy VBR
listening to the new Ryan Adams now its quite good...
as for TS, i use Xplay which recognizes the ipod as an external drive, so you could probably install it on there. the MAC stuff needed for the key will prob kill it tho as was mentioned earlier.
-------------------
World of Warcraft
— Illidan/Horde
Migrateduser
Keep in mind that, although Linux runs on a variety of hardware architectures, TeamSite (and OpenDeploy) are built for the Intel processor. So, a recompile is required for alternative hardware platforms hosting Linux.
Todd Scallan
Director of Product Management
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Migrateduser
Todd,
Is that your diplomatic way of saying, "It's not supported"?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Migrateduser
that would be my take. But if it happened to work, it would be cool. I think what Todd is saying i
...go ahead and try it, but if it doesn't work, please don't call us
regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
Well, okay... since DevNet alleviate some support calls anyway, let's create a new forum here called "TeamPod" or "iSite" or something like that, DEDICATED to iPod Teamsite implementations!
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Migrateduser
I'm not sure about installing on IPod, but I think you can get a copy of TeamSite on 8-track
nipper
I'm not sure about installing on IPod, but I think you can get a copy of TeamSite on 8-track
Don't say that, fish wil break out his leisure suit.
Adam Stoller
Nah - bell-bottoms and tie-dye t-shirt ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
tonyarnold
*sigh* Just to be able have TeamSite running under Mac OS X would make my job so much easier. Is anyone from Interwoven interested in having an experienced mac developer recompile TeamSite to run under Mac OS X client or server? I'm more than willing...
Migrateduser
Okay, well that brings a question to my head:
If TeamSite were installed on an OS which is running on an LP (yes, that's right for you young twenty-somethings -- as opposed to a later twenty-something like myself -- a
record
), how long would it take between the time the OS is booted to the time all TeamSite services have started.
Bonus question: Would it change the boot up time if the OS were running on a 33 rpm LP versus a 78 rpm LP? If so, how?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Migrateduser
LP would be great! Interwoven could set it up so that when you play the record backwards you get all the best DevNet postings.
Johnny
I'm baffled by the amount of traffic in this thread.
Jeff is passing the crack around once again!
John Cuiuli
Migrateduser
Okay, Jeff hasn't posted here (yet), but why is it that
EVERY
time I post to this forum, you chime in with the crack remarks?
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
DateRange.rptdesign
Johnny
Every time?
John Cuiuli
Migrateduser
Yeah, I think so. No? I just wonder if there's a correlation.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Johnny
Not that this is going anywhere - I couldn't help but do a search for crack on the forum.. maybe you should do the same.
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
Bonus question: Would it change the boot up time if the OS were running on a 33 rpm LP versus a 78 rpm LP? If so, how?
I envision a scene from "My Cousin Vinnie" - "That's a trick question" (it's 33 1/3 not 33 :-)
and of course we could split the difference and go for a 45 (though traditionally that isn't really an LP it is still vinyl - and there have been 12" 45's produced)
One could assume that if the disk is spinning faster [78] that it would take less time to boot up - but the recordings took the speed at which they were supposed to be played into account - so using that as the basis it should take the same amount of time (otherwise TeamSite would sound funny when booting - of course one would love to get a 33 1/3 copy and play it at 78, but ... ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
No, it's my way of saying it won't work. (I'm assuming the iPod CPU is not binary compatible with x86.)
Todd Scallan
Director of Product Management
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Migrateduser
Y'know, you're older than I thought!
So, picture me calling up support 3 months from now...
Me: "Yeah, I'm having a problem. TeamSite keeps crashing after bootup."
IW: "Okay, version and platform?"
Me: "Sure, TS 6.5 SP2 on 12-inch Columbia LP"
IW: "Ummm... hold on a minute."
< click >
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
DavidMusser
Would that be true if we had Linux Installed on the IPOD and then ran a VMWare image of TeamSite?
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01