Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
2 instance TS running in same machine?
cc96ai
Is there a way to create another instance of Interwoven on the same server?
we only have production machine and I believe we dont have another license for TS.
--------------------------------------------
TS 6.1 W2K3
OpenDeploy 6.0
CC Pro/Std
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I have seen as many as FOUR TS instances running on the same box. Anyone here will tell you that it's not recommended and that if you need to install another instance, you should get another license, but it's technically possible. This certain customer also had THREE instances of WAS running on the same box that was running TSx4. It's interesting what some people will do...
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
stefanmaier
Hi,
what do you want to do?
E.g. do you want to create an development environment on the same machine?
Or do you want to have two iwserver-mounts?
Regards
Stefan
Johnny
It's really possible??
What about the mount points - unix file driver, etc etc
iwgethome etc etc
Is it a messy set up?..
John Cuiuli
gzevin
I second your question...
it's the first time I hear anything like that.....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
cc96ai
actually, i want to setup development machine
can 2 instance have independent configuration also ( like 2 iw.cfg, etc)
--------------------------------------------
TS 6.1 W2K3
OpenDeploy 6.0
CC Pro/Std
gzevin
I thought it was a given fact that one cannot run 2 instances of TS on the same box - TS is basically a single instance application per server... It can run multiple backing stores, though
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Surprisingly, yes. This was all on Solaris 8 and the reason for the several instances is that there were that there were that many versions running -- as opposed to wanting to contain a dev, testing, qa, and prod environment on the same box. They had the same policy with WebSphere because they had different versions of that running, too.
What happened is that a user would have the newest version at the time, iw-home5.5.2 (for instance) in their path, so the commands that they would run were reflected in that environment. The mount points were all different and the ports were, too, of course. Yet, this thing ran rather smoothly. They knew that this setup was extremely volatile but honestly, they didn't care. All I could say was, "Wow."
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Michael
wow Dave. That sounds insane, I'm suprised you can talk about it - I would probably need therapy after trying to work with that
Q: Has anyone used VMware on Windows to create multiple virtual machines and run two TeamSite instances?
Migrateduser
I hear ya -- this was back in '02, but surprisingly, everything played very well together... TSx4, WASx3, and oh yeah, OpenDeploy x 2 and iPlanet.
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Michael
So in comparison running 2 TS instances in seperate VMs on windows should be a doddle
Someone must have done this?
jed
I have used vmware in the past to run a TS instance. I have not personally used vmware before for *multiple* instances, but I have seen others set it up. If you do that, and you only have one TS license, two instances on one box (a la vmware) would most likely be a violation of the license terms...
--
Jed Michnowicz
jedm@sun.com
Content Management Engineering
Sun Microsystems
nipper
Surprisingly, yes. This was all on Solaris 8 and the reason for the several instances is that there were that there were that many versions running -- as opposed to wanting to contain a dev, testing, qa, and prod environment on the same box. They had the same policy with WebSphere because they had different versions of that running, too.
While I have only set up a single instance on this type of machine, I see how it should work. We had a massive test server with a bunch
of ethernet interfaces and multiple virtual machines within the box. TS attached to a specific VM. The /iwmnt issue is an easy one, just different
names, the filesystem is multithreaded so it *should* not have trouble.
On problem I had (integrating MetaTagger and TS) was that you could not use localhost (since it was not tied to your VM, but rather
the whole box).
Now for DOS, running multiple copies of VMWare should be a slam dunk.
Andy
Migrateduser
Andy,
That *sounds* right, but I can't say for certain that this configuration would be okay. The one I spoke of was on a different platform and using older versions of TeamSite. Although, if I were a betting man -- which I am -- I'd bet that the setup you outlined would work just fine.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
gzevin
IWOV sales engineers do this on a regular basis.
I personally have ran Linux and Windows teamsites on VM Ware
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU