Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
JSPs replacing perl CGIs?
chandraiw
is there any java(JSP) way of user intervenion in workflows, replacing the perl CGIs?
Thanks,
Chandra
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
nobody stops you from using java for CGI
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
You probably
could
do anything you want in JSP as you would in Perl, but I think there's much more support for Perl. It would be interesting to find out just how much could be done in JSP, but nothing is stopping you. After all, it's just command line stuff anyway, right?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
chandraiw
invoking a java program is command line stuff, but probably jsp isnt. As a avid fan of Java technologies, I would say JSPs have more support and functionality than perl CGIs.
Right now there is cgitask, whose command context is iw-home/httpd/iw-bin/, to write perl CGI programs. But, dont see anything equivalent to write java program instead.
Migrateduser
Even though it wouldn't be JSP, couldn't you invoke javac for cgitasks? Otherwise, is there a JSP interpreter that could be referenced from command line with the JSP page passed in as an argument? Perhaps I'm thinking too much like a Perl-head.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
chandraiw
do not know if your suggestions are feasible/practical, but thanks anyway. IW is married to perl for too long...
I think I found a work-around: to use perl LWP module to make a http request and get the response back from the jsp on app server and forward this response to browser. But, havent yet tried this approach...
We are developing a custom application with whole suite of JSPs/tag libraries/Servlets/Beans. Plan to develop everything in Java and wanted to reuse tag libraries, utility classes etc.
Thanks,
Chandra
Edited by chandraiw on 05/24/05 03:29 PM (server time).
chandraiw
Greg,
yes, java can be used for CGI. But, can I write a CGI in java to be used with cgitask?
Thanks,
Chandra
gzevin
you already got some answers.
but if you are writing a suite of applications, you might as well look into CS SDK, etc...
however I dont know what you are going to implement
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
LWP might do the trick, but performance might be a significant problem. You may also lose some aspects of user interaction, etc.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
Bill Klish
Depending on your version of TeamSite using JSPs instead of CGIs may be pretty easy.
If you are using TeamSite 6.1 or higher, you can easily call JSPs instead of CGIs. You should look at the User Interface Customization Guide (page 77 Adding custom java code) which details how to add custom java code to the content center web application. You will need to have an understanding of the Content Services SDK to get access to TeamSite functionality, but it's fairly simple.
We are using TeamSite 6.1 and have replaced all our CGIs with servlets/JSPs. The servlets and JSPs run inside the same container as the TeamSite UI.
If your organization is more comfortable with Java/JSP, don't go down the Perl route.
Johnny
I think the issue is with making JSP/servlet calls within a workflow cgitask as it's context is iwhome/httpd/iw-bin (as mentioned by chandraiw).
You could try writing a very simple redirector CGI that takes in the iw-cc uri of your servlet and tunnels all of the form/cookie data.
If that works - it would be just a handful of lines to write. TeamSite::CGI_lite would do the trick.
Ofcourse it would be nice if it was supported directly - I don't think there would be any real limitation for enabling this... you could create a feature request for direct support of this too.
John Cuiuli
Bill Klish
If you specify the command of the cgi taskin the wft or jobspec like this:<command v = "/iw-cc/customer/myjsp.jsp"/> or <command v = "/iw-cc/myservlet"/> it works without the need for any perl.
chandraiw
quite encouraging! I didnt know that, will give it a try...
Thanks,
gzevin
I am surprised that still IWOV has not come up with full Java support for everything. It's not that I want to use it, bu clearly there are Java-only shops that prefer using it
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Johnny
well there you go.. thanks for the tip
John Cuiuli