Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
config files in teamsite clever
nico
I heard at the san francisco usergroup that some TS admins have got smart and put various config files in teamsite and manage them there. That way they are versioned, etc... Are any of you doing this and if so what files/dirs are you putting in TS?
Thanks,
Nico
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jbonifaci
I believe there is a plus pack to do this, although it should be easy enough to write something on your own. I would recommend doing it for all configuration files, including any custom ones you might use as well.
nico
or simply copy config files into teamsite then deploy them via OD. Just wondering what files or entire directories other admins/masters were putting in TS if they were following this practice.
Nico
Adam Stoller
I second the motion - we do this by creating an IWHOME branch underwhich we lay out directories the same way they look in the actual 'iwhome' directory - and any files that we find we need to add or modify, we store within that branch and use OD to deploy the files from TS to the local disk.
Ours is not a "perfect" system (limited time to devote to it since its considered as "overhead") but it's a lot better than the way we used to do it.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
jed
We use CVS and ant to manage and deploy various config files and code. There are many people who do not give a rats **** about TeamSite, nor do they care to learn, so CVS/ant is deemed as a neutral environment that most people should already know.
--
Jed Michnowicz
jedm@sun.com
Content Management Engineering
Sun Microsystems
Migrateduser
I'm also doing this, but instead of using OD to deploy the configuration files, I have a workflow associated with the particular branch and it does the file copy from there.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
By the way, I miss Unix terribly.
miletwo
Same here. I create a branch for TS files and have a menu item to deploy config files that is visible only to Admin.
Quis custodit custodem
nico
very cool
nico
I've ran into that sentiment before as well
nipper
I do that all the time. It is something you must do. I wish IW would make it easier to do, i.e.
let you point GUI tools to a config branch rather than iw-home
I put everything that changes on a config branch. All changes go through a workflow
and get approved by me, then deployed.
Andy
Migrateduser
Jed's approach is saner. Keeping teamsite config in teamsite itself is doable, but not a really great idea. For instance, if you keep iw.cfg in there, and someone meses up the license string - next time you deploy, oops, no teamsite, so you can't get your older version.
Of course, as an aside, I tend to think that installation packages shouldn't alter iw.cfg directly, but should use iwconfig -w to make changes to it, so you don't overwrite another developers changes. Unfortunately, this won't work for iwproxy config changes, since each line uses the same key.
nipper
Disagree, yes, license in iw.cfg is an example but one of the few. Using TS to VC allows
you to then use workflow and have an approver who actually looks at the changes. Novel
concept. Trust me, no iw.cfg change gets made by someone other than me.
You can do that in CVS but it take a great deal of scripting.
Gregg Faus
I used VSS (Visual Source Safe) to version my files. I don't want to have to rely upon Teamsite being up to deploy configurations. Also, since our implementation is accessible over Internet, it would be a greater risk to expose config files.
I've set up my project in VSS to match the directory structure of iw-home. I do the same for OpenDeploy too.
This works for me, but I can see the other perspective as well.