Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How is Solaris licensed ?
nipper
Anyone have a clue how much a license of Solaris might run ?
I bought a Ultra 2 on Ebay, but doubt it includes OS. So I am looking at what
I need to get it up and running. I do not know if the SW is licensed to the CPU
which means I need to buy the media, or if I need a complete license itself.
Anyone go through this before ?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Phil
Can your system support Solaris 10? I believe starting at version 10 Solaris is free. You only pay for support if you want it. You should be able to download it from Sun.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
Phil
nipper
Cool, thanks for the tip. It is an Ultra 2 so it supports Solaris 10. I do not know if it has
a CD or DVD player, so I am not certain which media to order. I do not feel like ripping
5 CDs from download, but I may.
BTW, $58 for the Ultra 2 with shipping. No monitor.
Andy
skip11
Hi nipper,
I don't believe the U2 line will support a dvd drive. It's sbus architecture, not IDE, so all
the devices like graphic cards, quad ethernet cards and scsi cards have to be sbus.
With that said, be careful to find out what the mionitor interface is. If it's a U2 Creator,
it's got an sbus graphic card which a normal PC monitor will not work with. There
are adaptors available to make a PC monitor work though.
Depending on the amount of memory in the system Solaris 10 with its java desktop
may not be a good idea. I would not load it with less than 512mb for memory. Also,
Solaris 10 introduced a vastly different network setup scheme compared with earlier
OS's - read the docs carefully if you want a static IP. Out of the box, it should support
DHCP.
Additionally, the U2 line can support up to 2 disk drives in the ultra bay line, ie, pluggable,
not connected with conventional scsi/power cable. For a Solaris OS like 5.8 or 5.9 a 4gb disk
just for the OS would be the minimal requirement for setting up the necessary partitions, IMO.
This is dependent on the option selected when installing the OS - OEM will require the most disk
space. Installing additional packages like gcc (from sunfreeware) will place the software in
/usr/local - so if the / filesystem contains usr it should be partitioned from 2 -2.5 gb. An
additional 4gb disk could be used for application software. When you get the box, login as root
and run format to see the size of the disk(s).
For really easy Solaris package installation via network, go the blastwave.org and pull down the
the setup package. Once installed, you can simply run commands like pkg-get gcc install. Note
that blastwave packages are installed in /opt/csw not in /usr/local so read the docs with regard
to PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
nipper
Thanks for the information.
I unpacked the system this weekend, CD not a DVD. 512 M RAM , 2 CPUs.
As Skip said, I need a connector to make it work with a PC monitor ($10 off of ebay).
I will try to download Solaris 10 to see how hard the install will be,
Thanks
skip11
Hi nipper,
If you have problems with the install, mail me offline from devnet.
regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland